The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Talking conflict of interest

OK, maybe I will, anyway there was a very simple solution, just talk to the other coach about the situation.........get everything above board, that's pretty easy, isn't it??
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Oh yeah, we are going to go to the other coach and get him ticked before the game even starts? I don't think so...Ma'am, with all due respect, we are the officials. You are not going to get any sympathy here, you should be whining on the http://www.howlermonkeys.com board, that is where coaches voice their concerns about officials.
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 10:26am
Esteemed Participant

I am wondering why you are so convinced it's an ethics problem?? As a teacher, I have reffed my schools (Middle School) games before in a pinch type situation, and had no problems calling fouls on "my" students... I ref many former students when they get to the HS level, and have no problems there either...why is it such a big issue for you? In my experience, the team that gets the short end of the stick in those situations is the team from the school where the ref teaches - we tend to be harder on them than the other team...by the way angelseven - what was the score of the game in question??
Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Ethics are nice

In a perfect world.... Wait, that doesn't exist.

Firstly, often times schools are hard-pressed to come up with two officials and concern whether there is a conflict of interest is overlooked out of necessity.

Secondly, even though the potential for conflict of interest exists when an official is contracted for a game it is not an inherent that the game will be called impartially. For example, I was forced into a "conflict of interest" game last week, my students knew "I call them the way I see them" and they were going to be on the "short-end" of any marginal call.

Old Fri Jan 10, 2003, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Isn't it obvious?

His/her team lost - therefore the refs must have cheated. Look it up - it's in the rulebook at 11-42-3.

&

Send your complaint to:

My Team Lost
ATTN: Whining Dept.
1010 Needs A Life Avenue
Loserville, USA
-----------------------------
I love how some folks on this board are quick to tell another official, "I would have to have been at your game to tell you how I would've made the call in question." However, when a non-official ask a legit. question, these same people give a reply similar to the two examples above. Don't get me wrong, I REALLY LIKE this board. And I have learned and/or come to understand many rules of officiating from this board. Our assoc. does not assign officials to work varsity games at the same school they work. Yes, of course their is a COI when a high school employee officiates at his/her place of employment. Consider the trouble (perceived or real) an official could be in if they toss a coach, toss a fan, or goodness forbid, blow a call. To answer the question at hand. I would find the assigner of the game and ask that person about conflicts of interest. Keep in mind that you need facts not your just your perception if your team happened to lose.