The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:29pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

This past week, there was a girls varsity holiday tournament here in the Portland suburbs. It was called the Adidas - Interstate Shootout and featured 16 teams from the Pacific Northwest. The championship game, played Monday night, went into overtime and was decided by one point.

After the game, the losing coach (as quoted in the newspaper) said that it was an exciting game for the fans, that it was great that the game went into overtime because it added thrills for everyone, that his team had plenty of opportunities to win but the other team made their shots in overtime and his team didn't - and that was the difference.

Not a single word about any calls.

Now - isn't that refreshing?
Old Thu Jan 02, 2003, 08:44pm
Official Forum Member

The guy is obviously delirious with fever and flu!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Actually, there were TWO brackets, one Navy, and one Red. NEITHER 2nd place coach said a bad word about the refs, which like Mark, I am amazed at. Of course, there WERE some very, very good refs. And all the games I saw were well managed. Although now that I think about it, I chatted with the sports writer who was at the championship game I watched, and she was friends with one of the (female) refs who worked that game. Maybe the writers of the articles editted out the negatives... Wow, that sounds cynical -- guess I should go work on my attitude.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2003, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
This past week, there was a girls varsity holiday tournament here in the Portland suburbs. It was called the Adidas - Interstate Shootout and featured 16 teams from the Pacific Northwest. The championship game, played Monday night, went into overtime and was decided by one point.

After the game, the losing coach (as quoted in the newspaper) said that it was an exciting game for the fans, that it was great that the game went into overtime because it added thrills for everyone, that his team had plenty of opportunities to win but the other team made their shots in overtime and his team didn't - and that was the difference.

Not a single word about any calls.

Now - isn't that refreshing?
Doesn't it just mean that the only three good refs in the country did that game?
Old Sat Jan 04, 2003, 12:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by hawkk
Doesn't it just mean that the only three good refs in the country did that game?
It was two whistle, hawkk. I wouldn't be surprised if we had the two best refs in the country right here. But I'd be shocked if they were doing a girls' varsity high school tourney!