The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Another throw in question (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6768-another-throw-question.html)

k2explorer Tue Dec 31, 2002 02:52pm

Hi all,

I had a situation where A1 had the ball for a spot throw-in on the side. She wanted to throw the ball up the court, so she threw the ball, it landed on the out of bounds line before going to A2. I blew the whistle for a violation and awarded the ball to B. The coach questioned me and I said it hit the line. He was puzzled. The other ref, who is a veteran, also questioned me and said I was wrong to do that.

I couldn't find anything in the rules but it says the ball has to be thrown directly into the court. This was NOT directly into the court.

How wrong was I???

Jurassic Referee Tue Dec 31, 2002 03:15pm

You weren't wrong. You were completely right.Rule 9-2-2.

Welcome to the board.

Jay R Tue Dec 31, 2002 03:22pm

Fuuny, had the same sitch not long ago and one of the players questioned the call.

Went to the rule book to make sure when I got home. You got it right.

firedoc Tue Dec 31, 2002 04:22pm

Simple situation and simple answer. Correct Call!!

Rich Tue Dec 31, 2002 04:53pm

It's an easy call when you realize what you've got: A throw-in that was thrown out of bounds.

Violation and a throw-in at the spot of the violation, which is the spot of the original throw-in.

Rich

4 Sport Official Tue Dec 31, 2002 06:38pm

NF Case book 9.2.2 situation A

"Thrower A1 attempts deception by : (a) causing the ball to carom from the wall behind him/her, or from the floor out of bounds and then into the court..."

Ruling : Violation in (a), since the throw did not go directly inbounds.

dblref Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:03pm

Quote:

Originally posted by Rich Fronheiser
It's an easy call when you realize what you've got: A throw-in that was thrown out of bounds.

Violation and a throw-in at the spot of the violation, which is the spot of the original throw-in.

Rich

Believe the throw-in would be where the ball hit the side line -- that is where the violation actually occured --rather than the spot of the original throw-in.

Jurassic Referee Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:13pm

Quote:

Originally posted by dblref
[/B]
Believe the throw-in would be where the ball hit the side line -- that is where the violation actually occured --rather than the spot of the original throw-in.
[/B][/QUOTE]If you have the ball OOB after a basket and you throw it the length of the court,and it:
1)hits the end line at the other end before being touched.
2)hits the wall OOB at the other end in the air.
Then,you would have both throw-ins at the other end of the court?

Tom Cook Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:13pm

dblref. I think that the ball was thrown from out-of-bounds to out-of-bounds without being touched by anyone else. The ball goes to B at the original throw-in spot.

Nevadaref Wed Jan 01, 2003 07:59pm

From the description, I believe that the play met the requirement that the ball be thrown directly into the court, since it seems like it passed over it. But the thrower violated because the pass went untouched by another player. That is the second part of that article and is super important. This is the part that tells us that the violation was by the thrower and thus the next throw-in will take place at the spot where he was.

fletch_irwin_m Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:22am

Just to throw a what if in to the discussion:
A1 throws the ball to A2 who is standing in bounds but has the hands reaching out of bounds to receive the ball.

Jake80 Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:18pm

Quote:

Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Just to throw a what if in to the discussion:
A1 throws the ball to A2 who is standing in bounds but has the hands reaching out of bounds to receive the ball.

This is also a violation. I believe the rule is (NFHS) 9-2-3. A player shall not "pass the ball so it is touched by a teammate while the ball is on the out-of-bounds side of the throw-in boundary-line plane"

Troward Thu Jan 02, 2003 01:52pm

throwing accross out of bounds line?

What if the ball was live in play and A1 on offense dribbles into the corner and then leans over the OB line and throws a pass accross the lane in the air out of bounds to A2 is has his arms fully extended and reaching out in the air over the ob line for the catch. Is this a legal play as the ball and players never touch the Out of bounds they are just making the pass and catch leaning over the line?

williebfree Thu Jan 02, 2003 02:00pm

Troward

This is a legal play because the ball is inbounds until it contacts something OOB. "Reaching through" the boundary plane is not a violation since the ball is already legally in play.

The key to the violation above is the throw-in status of the ball.

[Edited by williebfree on Jan 2nd, 2003 at 01:03 PM]