The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The assignor and games assigned (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/67619-assignor-games-assigned.html)

irp Wed Apr 27, 2011 02:19pm

The reason for no fee is historical, plus we don't get paid as much per game as you guys do so (D1 pays a max of £45 and some games are as low as £15) so people are unwilling to slice off a percentage of each fee.

Another thing to note is that we cannot get a tax break on professional fees, kit, etc. as we have to pay it all and that gets covered by the fees we are paid per game - when you are spending £'s on kit each year (even buying on the web is expensive when you get hot by import tax at 20% plus shipping) - so people don't want to cut out yet more by paying for the assignments as well.

There are differences with how things happen here, only one of the leagues I work requires us to pay to join, most do not and are run by volunteers, we do not have the infrastruture here for basketball so we make do as best we can.

It takes me about an hour to sort out changes each week plus about half a day twice a season doing the 'master' assignments list. To be honest, maybe it keeps me straight and clear on assignments by not getting paid. That said, I do get my returns through other things, I get to travel to places and see other officials as part of their (and my) development and that gets covered.

Whilst it would be nice to get paid, and it would certainly encourage other people to volunteer to do it, it is also an honour to be asked. There are others who may find it easier to do as they are retired, etc. but I see it as as part of my role in developing younger (and older) officials - I have got a lot out of basketball and now I can give it back.

Finally, if I was paid to do it then HMRC (think IRS) would tax me through the roof as they would slice every game fee paid and tax me on that - as a third job (main job, refereeing , and assigning) I would be losing half of it (my main job pays very well) so it saves me a lot of arguments with the tax man this way.

I know that most of you guys will think it mad, but it is the system we use and it works well - i don't ever pay for drinks and food when I meet other ref's and I enjoy the challenge (and I don't ever have to work really bad games in the league either).

tref Wed Apr 27, 2011 02:34pm

That being said, although I would be selective in assigning myself to games, I wouldn't let the complainers affect me one bit. You're qualified for the top games.... work em! I respect you doing it for free too!

Mark Padgett Wed Apr 27, 2011 02:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by irp (Post 753874)
quis custodiet ipsos custodes

BTW - the answer to your "signature" is: the guards on the other team. :)

I took Latin in HS and college. Unfortunately, I remember very little of it. :(

tomegun Wed Apr 27, 2011 03:18pm

We went to a crew system similar to football this past season. As one of the crew chiefs, I assigned the officials on my crew, including myself. Officials were given opportunities earlier in the season and everyone worked every level - 9th grade to varsity and games out of town. Almost everyone who could get off work early enough worked middle school games too.

I had a class on Wednesdays that automatically decreased my schedule, but I was always conscience about how much and what games I worked. I also made it a point to pay attention and follow the instruction of our Instructional Chair (I'm very close to him).

One thing I did was make it perfectly clear to my crew that years in the association doesn't mean much to me. If someone can officiate, they can officiate. Everyone was judged on how they perform on the court, how they handle business off the court, communication and professionalism. It worked for our crew, but YMMV.

26 Year Gap Wed Apr 27, 2011 03:29pm

I have had no complaints with assignors. Especially, since I moved to a new state and was a complete unknown. But, I have helped them out in a pinch, have worked off season ball for them, given names of others in different nearby associations to help cover games, and accepted my schedule. I have also been diligent in attending meetings and trainings. A new assignor in my primary association for next year. I have worked with him this past season, and I am not worried about problems with assignments for next season. I have worked with many of the top officials and have had quite a variety of game assignments.