The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   The assignor and games assigned (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/67619-assignor-games-assigned.html)

grunewar Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by tref (Post 751760)
I was also told to send a "thank you" note at the end of the season. Think about it, everybody WANTS games, but how many say THANKS for the games they received???

I do this too.

I also provide my unsolicited comments (to all three Assignors (one HS and Two Rec)) as to what I believe we did well and areas I believe there could be improvement - training, communications, scheduling, equipt, uniforms, registration, interpretations and rules, websites, etc. They can take it or leave it.

While I'm not big time or been at it as long as many here, I try to give back where I can. If I can help improve my Associations, make things better, and bring young officials on board, I try.

If you're not part of the solution - don't be part of the problem. Help out!

Off soap box. Carry on!

tref Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:58am

Ahhhh thanks Snaqs! I dont run with cliques either.
But I do have a circle... "the circle of success" as I try to surround myself quality, positive officials who work at a level I'd like to reach.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 751763)
While I'm not big time or been at it as long as many here, I try to give back where I can.

+1

Mark Padgett Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:00pm

I have four different rec league assignors. I always let them know how much I appreciate their making assignments because I did it for so many years and I know how "hard" it is to cover the games and still keep all the officials happy. I've found it's a good thing to tell them since it shows a "common area" which we can share. I would recommend that if you've ever done any assigning, be sure to point that out to an assignor. Misery loves company.

reffish Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by socal (Post 751712)
I know the good 'ol' boys club is in effect in almost all associations, is it in yours also?

Yes

[/QUOTE]How long has the assigner had that job in your association?[/QUOTE] Don't know, I just moved in here last year.

[/QUOTE]Is he/she voted in?[/QUOTE] Yes

[/QUOTE]Or just given the job by those he gives the best games to, including him/herself?[/QUOTE] No

[/QUOTE]How many terms / years is your assignor’s term before having to either be re-elected or appointed?[/QUOTE] Don't know

[/QUOTE]Is the system fair in your area?[/QUOTE] Yes, we get a chance to work in front of the assigning committee and ratings committee.

[/QUOTE]If you don’t feel the system is fair, is it because you aren’t given an opportunity?

Or is it because he/she just gives them self and their close friends the best games?

Shouldn’t the assignor ONLY be working basic games, be given a strict 1-2 terms, and be required to evaluate all officials, so that they TRULELY know who to assign what games to?

While NOT being partial !!!![/QUOTE]
How about developing a system that rates each game based on team's strength and level of play and other factors, have a ratings, assigning, and evaluating committee serving officials to rank and qualify officials to work rated games. The higher the rated officials, the more qualifed the official to work the highly rated games. Other factors include but not limited to times worked highly rated games, highly rated teams, availability, and the such.

reffish Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:02pm

And now I need to learn how to quote parts and answer those parts and not have my answer part of the quote........

socal Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:06pm

I understand a lot of shrt lingo, but not this

grunewar Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by reffish (Post 751772)
And now I need to learn how to quote parts and answer those parts and not have my answer part of the quote........

Ya got the end part right, but ensure you cut and past this part [QUOTE=socal;751731] for the front of the quote!

We've all gotta start somewhere! Good luck ;)

Try it, you'll like it!

tref Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by reffish (Post 751770)
How about developing a system that rates each game based on team's strength and level of play and other factors, have a ratings, assigning, and evaluating committee serving officials to rank and qualify officials to work rated games. The higher the rated officials, the more qualifed the official to work the highly rated games. Other factors include but not limited to times worked highly rated games, highly rated teams, availability, and the such.

Thats exactly how we do it here. Games & officials are rated 1-5, 1 being the best. You must be rated a 1 to work 1 rated games. One particular assignor only uses 1 rated officials for all their boys conference games.

Raymond Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 751735)
Here we vote, in my first association, we did not. I don't have a problem with him assigning himself top level games, as he's likely one of your top level officials.

I have no problem with the assignor working some games but I would have a problem with the commissioner not being available to take phone calls on your busy nights to resolve last minute issues.

Adam Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 751790)
I have no problem with the assignor working some games but I have a problem with the commissioner not being available to take phone calls on your busy nights to resolve last minute issues.

Yeah, I can see how this would be a problem. I'll leave it at that.

JRutledge Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:57pm

I have multiple assignors. I am good.

Peace

Raymond Tue Apr 19, 2011 01:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snaqwells (Post 751792)
Yeah, I can see how this would be a problem. I'll leave it at that.

I forgot to include the word "would" in my original post.

grunewar Tue Apr 19, 2011 01:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 751796)
I have multiple assignors. I am good.

Peace

We know "you're good" JRut, but how are your Assignors! ;)

JRutledge Tue Apr 19, 2011 01:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by grunewar (Post 751802)
We know "you're good" JRut, but how are your Assignors! ;)

It has nothing to do with being good. Every conference has a different assignor in this area (or state in general). If you want to work more than 10 games you better work for different people here as a general rule. And our associations do not assign anything (as a rule as well) so we get games from all different sources. That includes high school and college.

We do not operate like other places obviously.

Peace

Kingsman1288 Tue Apr 19, 2011 01:39pm

In my association, the varsity and jv assignors are both appointed by our board of directors. I have never had an issue with either one of them. But then again, I went out of my way to get to know them and make myself available to them. Like others have said, take a look at yourself before you blame the assignors.