The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 03:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
"I see it, coach, but I'm not going to blow dead a fast break"

"Not even for blood? For Pete's sake, what if it gets on the other players?!!"

"Well, she doesn't have to stand right there in the middle of the key, she could wait over here by the sideline"

"You're going to punish us becuase she's bleeding?"

"No, but I'm also not going to punish your opponent!.... okay, they missed the shot, and you've got the ball, now, let's get her out."

"Oh, so you'll blow dead OUR fast break?"

"Coach that's the rule, as you well know"

(Thinking quietly, "Sheez, Louise, this guy puts the howl into the howler monkey!")
Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up Handled well

Your diplomacy was admirable.

I would end this dialogue with "Coach, as you know, you have 30 seconds to replace her, starting NOW!"

This shifts his focus to where it should be coaching.

Old Mon Dec 30, 2002, 09:17am
In Memoriam

Post Blood on the back of a shirt.

During rebounding action I noticed red on the small of the back of H50.
Team H got the ball.
[*Tweet*] "Lemmee look at your shirt"
"You have to change your shirt."
Coach H, "Well it's not his blood!"
"Yes, Coach; we will look for the bleeder."
V42 comes over with dripping forearm from a long scratch.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 03:12am
Official Forum Member

Mick,
Remember the player does not have to change the shirt just because it has blood on it. The rule says an "excessive" amount of blood. If you don't think it is a big deal, don't make it one.
You do still need to find the player who is bleeding though and take care of him.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 05:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Mick,
Remember the player does not have to change the shirt just because it has blood on it. The rule says an "excessive" amount of blood. If you don't think it is a big deal, don't make it one.
You do still need to find the player who is bleeding though and take care of him.
Nevada,I think that mick had all the bases covered.His quotes:
1)"Lemmee look at your shirt.You have to change your shirt".
2)"V42 comes over with a dripping forearm from a long scratch".
He checked the shirt and made HIS decision on it:then he found the bleeding player-V42.I can't think of anything else that he shoulda done in this sitch.

Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 06:05am
Official Forum Member

Perhaps, direct V42 to leave the game! I assume he did this, but the post just stopped.
And I was emphasizing that there is a difference between merely having some blood on your shirt and having an "excessive amount" of blood on it. Most officials mistakenly believe that if a player has ANY blood on the uniform they MUST change. That is not true.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 31st, 2002 at 05:08 AM]
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 06:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
And I was emphasizing that there is a difference between merely having some blood on your shirt and having an "excessive amount" of blood on it. Most officials mistakenly believe that if a player has ANY blood on the uniform they MUST change. That is not true.

To me,any blood on a shirt is an "excessive amount".I think that the intent of the rule was to not spread blood around among the players.It doesn't take much blood to accomplish that,in my mind.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Well, that is your decision and in your game you are certainly entitled to call it that way.
I, however, believe that there is a threshold involved. The official must use his judgment to what that is, but I do not have a zero tolerance policy.
What would you rule on a shirt that got blood on it on Friday, but due to travel the team was unable to wash it, and now on Saturday it has a dried blood splatter on it.
Are you going to say blood is blood and the shirt must go? Or do you think that it isn't likely to be spread to another player and is permissible?
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 08:47am
In Memoriam

Cool

Quote:
Mick,
Nevadref,
This was a pretty easy call for me.
I was looking at three bloodspots, an 8" long smear, a 4" smear and a 2" smear.
And both players were out for less than 20 seconds of game time. The bleeder was 6'8" 240 and one of his teammates was slightly concerned when he asked me, "How long does he have to be out?" This teammate breathed a sigh of relief when I told him that the big guy could come in at the next whistle.
mick
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Had a player at varsity HS tourney this past weekend who got a bloody nose. There was 3 large spots of blood on the players shirt. As I was directing the player out I asked head coach if he had an extra jersey (IMO all teams should carry an extra for this sitch) coach did not but had a spray to put on the blood that cleaned it up and neutralized it. He did this and I allowed him to return to the game a couple of whistles later. Other coach asks me if this is legal. (the bloodied player was the other teams stud) I told him that the blood spots were neutralized and dried so they no longer represented a threat. Thoughts on this???
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 12:41pm
In Memoriam

Question

Quote:
Originally posted by MN 3 Sport Ref
... had a spray to put on the blood that cleaned it up and neutralized it. He did this and I allowed him to return to the game a couple of whistles later. Other coach asks me if this is legal. (the bloodied player was the other teams stud) I told him that the blood spots were neutralized and dried so they no longer represented a threat. Thoughts on this???
MN3,
Never heard of that.
So, you are familiar with the spray?
What is the product called ?
mick
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Mick:

When the incident happened I looked at the spray bottle quickly and I can't remember the name of the product. The trainer took it out of a medical kit. I do remember that it turned the bllod areas a light brown and the spots became very faint. I have e-mailed the school to find out some more info about the product, but I am sure it will be a while since schools are on break until after the new-year. When I find out I will let you know.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 01:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
The other coach asks me if this is legal. (the bloodied player was the other teams stud) I told him that the blood spots were neutralized and dried so they no longer represented a threat. Thoughts on this???
I think that you covered the intent and purpose of the rule perfectly.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 01:07pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Liability maybe?

We talk so much about liability, this is possibly a liability issue. If a player in one of your games gets a disease (does not have to be HIV or AIDS) I do not think you want to have allowed blood to stay on a uniform or on a players body without removing that individual. It might not even have been caused by anything in a game, but people will sue for just about anything. I personally have it removed and tell them to use that stuff that removes it and disinfects the blood. I would rather be cautious and safe than careless.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 01:11pm
In Memoriam

Quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... had a spray to put on the blood that cleaned it up and neutralized it. He did this and I allowed him to return to the game a couple of whistles later. Other coach asks me if this is legal. (the bloodied player was the other teams stud) I told him that the blood spots were neutralized and dried so they no longer represented a threat. Thoughts on this???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mick:

When the incident happened I looked at the spray bottle quickly and I can't remember the name of the product. The trainer took it out of a medical kit. I do remember that it turned the bllod areas a light brown and the spots became very faint. I have e-mailed the school to find out some more info about the product, but I am sure it will be
a while since schools are on break until after the new-year. When I find out I will let you know.
I am now curious as to why you told the other coach that everything was okay, if you weren't quite familiar with the product?
I guess I would have had to say something like, "Well, their trainer assured me...." (...Some kind of disclaimer.)