The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I don't want to start another tongue stud or held ball thread, but I always thought the jersey needed to be "saturated" with blood.

I do make players leave for excessive amount of blood and I'm all for ruling on the side of safety, but how do they get past a rule like this in the NFL? A player like Jon Ritchie of the Raiders has blood coming out of his forehead and no one ever says a word about the possible ramifications of letting him play.

MJ
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 01:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mj

... how do they get past a rule like this in the NFL? A player like Jon Ritchie of the Raiders has blood coming out of his forehead and no one ever says a word about the possible ramifications of letting him play.

MJ
MJ,
For one thing the NFL doesn't use NFHS rules.
For another thing, I was wondering the same thing.
mick

Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

I understand that they don't use the same rules, but wouldn't you think a rule like this would be a bit more universal for all sports?

MJ
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 03:36pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
I understand that they don't use the same rules, but wouldn't you think a rule like this would be a bit more universal for all sports?

MJ
I figgered the blood sports had very regular testing.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I am an athletic manager for a high school in IL and we use the spray. What we use is called formula 10 and it imedietly dissolves and disinfects any blood on the jersey or the player him/her self. Allowing our coaches to get the players back in quicker.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 08:25pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb That would be difficult.

Quote:
Originally posted by mj

MJ
You cannot make rules that are universal. High School Students are not Professionals and Professionals are not College Students. All have a different perspective or concerns related to their particular levels. Especially when one is a job the other are extra-curricular activities.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj
It just depends on what the league has decided, MJ. The NBA requires players to leave the game immediately and requires trainers to wear rubber gloves when administering aid to a bleeding player. Obviously, the NFL is not as concerned with it.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Well, that is your decision and in your game you are certainly entitled to call it that way.
I, however, believe that there is a threshold involved. The official must use his judgment to what that is, but I do not have a zero tolerance policy.
What would you rule on a shirt that got blood on it on Friday, but due to travel the team was unable to wash it, and now on Saturday it has a dried blood splatter on it.
Are you going to say blood is blood and the shirt must go? Or do you think that it isn't likely to be spread to another player and is permissible?
For me, any amount is definately excessive (if I can see it without a microscope, there's enough there to infect someone). Not to mention, any amount of blood on the player's body merits their removal from the game (per rule).

Also, if between Friday and Saturday a team can't find a different shirt, they have bigger problems than the blood rule.

BTW, this is why I don't like the NCAA rule, which allows the teams' own trainers to decide whether or not the jersey is "saturated" with blood.

[Edited by Mark Dexter on Dec 31st, 2002 at 08:38 PM]
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
I am an athletic manager for a high school in IL and we use the spray. What we use is called formula 10 and it imedietly dissolves and disinfects any blood on the jersey or the player him/her self. Allowing our coaches to get the players back in quicker.
Do you have any more info on this stuff? Maybe a website? The chemist in me is interested in finding out how [well] it works.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2002, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to ref5678
I'll talk to our AD on the 6th and see if i can get some info for you because im wondering that myself
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 08:40am
In Memoriam

Wink Formula 10

Quote:
Originally posted by ref5678
Interesting.
Thanks!
mick
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Blood?

I had an amusing one the other night. This was a girls varsity game. I called a foul for B pushing A1 during a rebound. We have a bonus freethrow sit. A1 made the first free throw and the timer buzzed me over to the scorer's bench saying that "She has blood on her uniform!!" I said "Who?" "Number 12!!" So I start towards the lane as the A coach is yelling "She sat in the kids nachos!!" I walked over to A 12 and motioned for her to turn around and sure enough she had a tennis ball sized spot of what could only be nacho cheese sauce (with chili). I told the bench " It's not blood" and pointed to my partner to play on. Oh and #12 turned about 12 shades of red.
Old Wed Jan 01, 2003, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

In my bloodborne pathogen training, I was taught that any blood could have high probability of transfer and that after a person cleans up the blood on floor of school, it is then double bagged and tossed in trash.
I would have person change jersey.

As a school principal, have advised my staff to always err on side of caution and to have extra jerseys and shorts in both home and away to resolve this issue.

Agree with the post on liability as well. Better safe than sorry.
CH