The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Had a game the other night where a coach inquired whether one of his players could wear headgear to cover up some stitches that were recently put in behind his ear. The headgear he wanted to wear was like a wrestlers headgear. We did not allow him to wear it based on 3-5-2 because they had nothing from the state approving this. The player played without the headgear.

So after the game my partner and I were talking that this rule should also apply to a player playing with one of those face masks used when a player has a broken nose. Wouldn't you know our very next game, a girl has one of those face masks on. We talked to the coach and he stated she has been wearing the mask all year and other officials have approved it. We allowed her to play with the mask but told the coach to check with the state whether they need to approve it.

Any thoughts?
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:57am
In Memoriam

Check out the wording in casebook play 3.5SitA. "a protector for a broken nose,even though it is made of hard material,is permissable if it does not extend so as to endanger others,if it is not sharp,and if it has no cutting edges". If the facemask meets those criteria,it is legal.It is up to you to approve it,or not.

As for the helmet,the language states "The third criterion provides that the equipment used must be appropriate for basketball and not be confusing.In this case,gloves,football face masks and helmets are not acceptable".
Old Sat Dec 28, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

What would you say if the kid comes out with a boxing type headgear that is all padding and no hard plastic? I would say that due to the proximity of the injury, probably just happened that day or the day before, they wouldn't have time to get the state to approve such a protective device. Just throwing something out there. I would be inclined to let the player play with this type of protection.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 02:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
What would you say if the kid comes out with a boxing type headgear that is all padding and no hard plastic? I would say that due to the proximity of the injury, probably just happened that day or the day before, they wouldn't have time to get the state to approve such a protective device. Just throwing something out there. I would be inclined to let the player play with this type of protection.
I'm with Joe on this one. The headgear is probably softer than the actual head.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDave
Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
I'm with Joe on this one. The headgear is probably softer than the actual head.
Not wanting to start another tongue stud argument here!

My answer it a boxing stile headgear in NO without state approval. Why is he wearing it? Is the injury/situation such that he needs such protection? If it is than he/she should not be on the court in the first place.
Old Sun Dec 29, 2002, 11:04am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
[/B]
Not wanting to start another tongue stud argument here!

My answer it a boxing stile headgear in NO without state approval. Why is he wearing it? Is the injury/situation such that he needs such protection? If it is than he/she should not be on the court in the first place. [/B][/QUOTE]I agree. I think Rule 3-5-2Exception1(a) is specific enough to cover this one-i.e. approval needed because it is a head covering required for medical reasons.
I also think that the "tongue stud" thread is germane here,too.If someone gets hurt,and that someone thinks that the helmet is the cause,and that you ignored the rule,you could possibly be looking at litigation.JMuninformedO.

Personally,I think that the way I would handle it if I spotted one of these in the warm-up would be to turn to my partner and say "Hey,ol' buddy,how 'bout you being the R to-night?".