The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 02:26pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question OT - how would you like to work this league?

I was talking with a buddy earlier today about the rec leagues we work and he reminded me of a men's wreck league he's done for a few years at the local YMCA that is made up entirely of CPAs. I know he's not kidding because I was once asked if I wanted to work that league. I asked him how it went (it's a fall league) and he said fine, and that all the players wear "Drew Carey glasses" and have pocket protectors on their jerseys. However, he wasn't kidding when he said the people at the table keep the score sheet in ink and that it's become something of a status thing to do that. They pride themselves on not making any errors on the sheet.

Yikes.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
I was talking with a buddy earlier today about the rec leagues we work and he reminded me of a men's wreck league he's done for a few years at the local YMCA that is made up entirely of CPAs. I know he's not kidding because I was once asked if I wanted to work that league. I asked him how it went (it's a fall league) and he said fine, and that all the players wear "Drew Carey glasses" and have pocket protectors on their jerseys. However, he wasn't kidding when he said the people at the table keep the score sheet in ink and that it's become something of a status thing to do that. They pride themselves on not making any errors on the sheet.

Yikes.
Seeing as how I've been an accountant for 10 years now, I have to guess that I'd fit right in.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 03:53pm
certified Hot Mom tester

BTW - here's the final stats from that league's 2010 season. The webpage says "Youth Sports" at the top but that's just their generic heading for all the YMCA sports there. It's an actual men's wreck league. I'm sure you'll recognize some of the names of the accounting firms.

OSCPA Fall League 2010 - Basketball - Beaverton Hoop YMCA , Beaverton, OR
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

I am a math teacher but I encourage my students to find a mistake of mine. I may be better suited to referee than keep the books.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 07:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Kosher Basketball ...

About thirty years ago, our high school assigner used to assign young officials to work men's recreation games at the Jewish Community Center. Many of the players wore yarmulkes during the game. Good basketball, not the usual men's "wreck" garbage.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Live, From Connecticut, It's Thursday Night ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jophyal View Post
I am a math teacher but I encourage my students to find a mistake of mine.
Did you hear about the constipated math teacher who worked it out with a pencil?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:14pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
About thirty years ago, our high school assigner used to assign young officials to work men's recreation games at the Jewish Community Center. Many of the players wore yarmulkes during the game. Good basketball, not the usual men's "wreck" garbage.
Usually, yarmulkes are kept in place with bobby pins or something similar. Was this a violation of the "no jewelry" rule? Just kidding. BTW - the local JCC here in Portland (along with the Portland Jewish Academy - a private school) sponsors school teams that play in the Portland Metro Christian League, which is kind of ironic. Actually, their teams do fairly well in competition. BTW - my five year old grandson plays indoor soccer at the JCC one night a week. They have this incredible inflated indoor soccer building with artificial turf. When he's a little older, I'm sure he'll play basketball, since my son (his dad) did.
Old Thu Apr 14, 2011, 08:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Mark, back me up here.....

Quote:
Many of the players wore yarmulkes during the game.
These often have to be kept in place by metal hair restraint-type devices...... UNIFORM POLICE!!!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 06:30am
Esteemed Forum Member

Passover Is Just Around The Corner ...

Quote:
Yarmulkes are kept in place with bobby pins or something similar. Was this a violation of the "no jewelry" rule?
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
These often have to be kept in place by metal hair restraint-type devices.
Remember, this was a men's recreation league, not a high school game, so bobby pins were allowed by league rules. Of course now we might allow the yarmulkes to be held on with tape, even in a high school game, under the "Uniform Police" exception:

State associations may, on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play.

Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 07:33am
9/11 - Never Forget

Seriously though....

Quote:
Remember, this was a men's recreation league, not a high school game, so bobby pins were allowed by league rules.

State associations may, on an individual basis, allow a player to participate while wearing a head covering, if it is worn for medical or religious reasons, provided that the covering is not abrasive, hard, or dangerous, and is attached in such a way that it is highly unlikely to come off during play.
Sleeves, wrist bands, hair restraint devices, etc. are uniform police issues. This is a safety issue where we need to be careful. And, understanding this the way I do, if it's ok with them, it's ok with me. I mean, Rulz is Rulz!

Speaking of safety - had a B13 Rec player go down and slide head first into a wall the other night. He hit the back of his head pretty good. I spoke to the coach/his dad about the seriousness and emphasis on this lately and my concerns. Dad sat with him on the bench for the rest of the game and he never came back in. I sent a note to the league.
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 05:59pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Chosen People ...

Quote:
If it's OK with them, it's OK with me. I mean, Rulz is Rulz!.
Remember, this was a Jewish Community Center league. When a mohel holding a knife tells you that yarmulkes kept in place with bobby pins are allowed, you better listen. They're allowed. No argument from me.

Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 06:23pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Good One Billy!

Quote:
Remember, this was a Jewish Community Center league. When a mohel holding a knife tells you that yarmulkes kept in place with bobby pins are allowed, you better listen. They're allowed. No argument from me.
When an armed mohel tells me anything.......I'm not arguing!
Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 06:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Beautiful Baby, And A Beautiful Car ...

Quote:
When an armed mohel tells me anything, I'm not arguing!
Saturday Night Live: Royal Deluxe II - Bing Videos

Old Fri Apr 15, 2011, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Over 40 League

I have had the pleasure of working a "Golden Boys" league at the local Jewish Community Center. Half court, 4 on 4, two officials. No kidding. Lead and trail pretty much just stand there and never move, except for an occasional side-step or to switch every few fouls. Candy from a (seriously whining) baby.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2011, 05:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was talking with a buddy earlier today about the rec leagues we work and he reminded me of a men's wreck league he's done for a few years at the local YMCA that is made up entirely of CPAs.
Dangerous trend. What happens when they form a league made up entirely of lawyers? Does a T become contempt of court?