The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dibbs
Question

Need some advise from this great board!
Had a CYO varsity boys Tournament and team A was ahead by 50 points in the middle of the 4th quarter. A1 throws up a ally oop to A2 which goes over his head and A2 continue to go to the basket and graps the rim and held on for more then a second and pulled the rim down. So I'd T'ed him up.
Team A next possession down the court same player A2 has the ball and is driving down the lane and on his way up he lost the ball and continue to the hoop and again graps the rim and pulled it down. I'd T'ed up again! I thought at the time that the player could have laid off the rim both times and that he was just showboating. Now I think that I should have not called either one and just let it go. Nobody said a word about the calls and the technicals did not have any effect on the game at this point. I do not think the player was worried about any injuries. My problem is if this happens in a HS game should I still call this or let it go, no matter if it is a blow out or a close game? The rule 10-3-5 does not seem to really cover either of these situations.
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Dibbs, 10-3-5 does directly cover this, "Grasp either basket during the time of the official's jurisdiction..."

Sounds to me like your calls were right on. I can't imagine what possessed the player to grab on the 2nd time!
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Dibbs
My problem is if this happens in a HS game should I still call this or let it go, no matter if it is a blow out or a close game? The rule 10-3-5 does not seem to really cover either of these situations.
If it's that bad a blow out,you might just get close to the player and tell him to stay off the rim.Of course,if he does it again,you pretty well have to nail him.Just make sure that there's no one close to him when he hangs,so that no one can say that he was grabbing it to prevent an injury.

Btw,no body had anything to say after you disqualified the player for getting his second T?
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 01:42pm
Official Forum Member

If he's hanging on the rim and its not for his protection, then you gotta pull out the T

Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

I'd be especially tight in a blow out, when tempers are more likely to flare from showboating . . .
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Ditto Hawkk
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dibbs
Thanks to all, Hawkk very good point on the blow out.