The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
Watching the varsity game follwoing mine had two weird instances happen. I talked with the officials about this and did not really get it cleared up.
1. B1 steps over to take a charge. Doesn't get there in time and gets the block call. B1, on the floor hears the whistle looks at the C, who signals block. B1 slaps the floor and says "Shoot" and get up. C gives him the "T".
Question 1: Should he have held that? This is a tough area for me. I have been told I am too slow to "T" so on this one I would have let it go. He was not frustrated with my call just himself. He did not swear or make an idiot of himself. Just slapped the floor, loudly, and stood up.

2. Before shooting the FT's, Double Bonus for the block and two for the "T". The B coach asks for a TO. This is before ANY ft's are shot. He just wants to stare at the officials for 60 seconds or so. He was granted the TO.
Question 2: Can he be granted a TO? Is he allowed to substitute during the TO? It just seems odd that you would have the ability to call a TO before FT's in this situation.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

1. For me, it probably depends on what has happened earlier in the game. If this is the first incident, I probably pass on it. However, if this same kid has been arguing calls and being a pain, it's time.

2. You should not grant a timeout until: you have reported all foul information to the table, gotten all disqualified players replaced, gotten all injured players off the floor. But, once the ball is ready to be made live again, the timeout should be granted. In your case, the officials were correct in granting the timeout.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
Watching the varsity game follwoing mine had two weird instances happen. I talked with the officials about this and did not really get it cleared up.
1. B1 steps over to take a charge. Doesn't get there in time and gets the block call. B1, on the floor hears the whistle looks at the C, who signals block. B1 slaps the floor and says "Shoot" and get up. C gives him the "T".
Question 1: Should he have held that? This is a tough area for me. I have been told I am too slow to "T" so on this one I would have let it go. He was not frustrated with my call just himself. He did not swear or make an idiot of himself. Just slapped the floor, loudly, and stood up.

I would not give a T on JUST a "Shoot." Was there more to it? Had any members of B received a warning beforehand?

Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
NO warnings, but the official thought it projected an attempt to show him up so he wacked him. I can agree with that. If the crowd perceives a player is showing you up then they will believe they are showing you up.
Thanks on the TO part. It just seemed odd.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

This comes down to both not being there, to ones perception of what was actually said and how it was said, and the ref himself as it was his call and he made it. Given that, I was not there – I see the “Shoot” as being disgusted that he got a block against himself.

You will have to set your level at which a T is given.
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fletch_irwin_m
He was not frustrated with my call just himself. He did not swear or make an idiot of himself. Just slapped the floor, loudly, and stood up.

Quote:
Originally posted by RecRef
I would not give a T on JUST a "Shoot." Was there more to it?
I do not try to read a player's or coach's mind and attempt to figure out why they did something, I simply look at their actions.
If the actions are out-of-line, it is a T every time.
I don't care who he is mad at or why he is mad, how he displays or controls that anger is what everyone in the gym sees and what I must pass judgment upon.
To answer your question, if a player just says shoot, no problem, but if he slaps the floor or slams the ball after a call, the T is automatic for me.