The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 16, 2000, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I am 31 years old, work about 40 varsity games a season in the Chicago suburbs and this past season worked five state tournament games (three girs, two boys). I'm interested in knowing how someone goes from working high school basketball to working at the college level? Obviously, you must attend camps. But which camps? Do you start with a D3 camp and work your way up to a D2 camp and so on? First, could someone share with me any camps in my area that would be worth attending. Second, am I too young to even think about attending a college camp? Thanks.
Old Sun Apr 16, 2000, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Hey- you don't happen to work in the Central Suburban League? I'm also an IHSA official, but am currently in school in L.A. Anyways, I'd contact the IHSA and find out what camps they'd reccommend. I've heard of some camps up in Lake County that get D2 and D3 assignors, but I haven't heard anything about D1.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2000, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Never too young to move up...more a function of experience. Sounds likes you have the resume to make the leap.

Ask some of the college officials in your association or area to put in a good word with the assignor, or ask about camps they know of. Camps here in CA are attended by all levels of assignors, so you have an opportunity to be seen by as many assignors as possible.

From what I hear...ALL associations across the country need more officials, especially at the JC and lower levels of college. If you're working State HS playoffs, then you're certainly ready to move to the next level.

Good luck!
Old Mon Apr 17, 2000, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Hey Matt S. - I do work the Central Suburban League! I work about two boys varsity games in that conference a year. The assignor (Jerry H.) is a nice guy. I heard it is a good possibility that the CSL is going to have 3-man next year. What camp in Lake County has D3 and D2 supervisors? Is it the John Katzler camp in Lake Forest.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2000, 08:11pm
Official Forum Member

Patty Broderick has a camp at Oakland University in Detroit that is inexpensive and might get you some good looks.Contact Judy Stewart at 317 923 2246, or visit http://members.aol.com/betterrefs
Old Mon May 01, 2000, 05:36pm
Official Forum Member

There is a referree camp this summer being conducted by a current NBA referree who used to ref on the college level.

Check out http://www.toliverbasketball.com
Old Thu May 11, 2000, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

You need to go to camp. Brodererick is very good if you are wanting to work womens collegeiate. I am not sure about your area but I find out the assigners for junior college, D3 and 2, and get to know some people. You are definately not too young and you probably need to make the move now.....
Old Thu May 11, 2000, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Darryl Lamps is a JUCO and D3 supervisor in NW IL and IA. He lives in the Peoria area. Almost any collegiate level official in your area should be able to find out how to contact him. He does some work in conjunction with the IHSA. They may be able to help you find him.