The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Has anyone ever issued a T for a player voluntarilly leaving the court to gain an advantage? If so, what was the situation.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 10:26am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
Has anyone ever issued a T for a player voluntarilly leaving the court to gain an advantage? If so, what was the situation.

Hot-shooting, freshman varsity point guard, ran outside the end line, around a screen on one side of the lane and re-entered on the other side of the lane and outside the arc. He received a pass and cocked to put a shot.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Not your question but the same type of situation. I’m lead; A1 spot inbounds the ball at her baseline. Team is doing the “stack” inbounds play. A1 throws to A3, second in line, A2 moves to block B1 path to the lane. As this is going-on, A1 while OOB runs along the baseline and comes back in on the opposite side of the lane. Pass to A1 and a shot.

Tweet and a T. As I am reporting it coach A has this sheepish grin on his face.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 11:01am
In Memoriam

I called one years ago.It was exactly the same as the casebook play used to illustrate the rule.A1 inbounding on the right side of the lane,throws it in to his right,then goes left down the endline OOB and uses a perpendicular double pick set right by the endline to come free for a 15ft. jumper after they swing the ball to that side.They ran it and missed the shot.I had a chance to whisper to the coach- "illegal play,coach,and you know it.Get him back inbounds right away,or I'm gonna have to call it". Damned if they didn't run it again in the next quarter.I even told the thrower in(same kid) to get back inbounds right away.He gave me a blank look and ignored me. I T'd him up this time as soon as he came back inbounds and got the pass. Didn't hear a word from the coach,except for a muttered "should have known better with you".I took that as a compliment.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 12:43pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Yep. Championship game of a Varsity tournament. Less than a minute left, team A is down by 3. Ball is at the point, and their shooter uses a baseline screen, but enters OOB (had to - the screener left no room IB) at about the foul lane line extended. He OOB path takes him right through the key, had it extended OOB, plus another foot or two, which is right in front of me, as L. His defender was hesitant to follow him OOB, but did eventually. Shooter goes to behind the arc, receives a pass (totally open from the defender's hesitation to go OOB), and as soon as the player catches the pass, I've got a whistle for a T.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 01:57pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by JugglingReferee
[/B]
His defender was hesitant to follow him OOB, but did eventually. Shooter goes to behind the arc, receives a pass (totally open from the defender's hesitation to go OOB), and as soon as the player catches the pass, I've got a whistle for a T. [/B][/QUOTE]No T on the defender for going OOB also,on this play?

What's your call if the defender blocks the shot on this play,after they were both OOB illegally?
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 04:56pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
His defender was hesitant to follow him OOB, but did eventually. Shooter goes to behind the arc, receives a pass (totally open from the defender's hesitation to go OOB), and as soon as the player catches the pass, I've got a whistle for a T. [/B]
No T on the defender for going OOB also,on this play?

What's your call if the defender blocks the shot on this play,after they were both OOB illegally?
[/B][/QUOTE]

No T for the defender.

There was no shot taken since the whistle was blown, making the ball dead. A shot is defined as an attempt for basket during a live ball.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 06:33pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:
His defender was hesitant to follow him OOB, but did eventually.
No T on the defender for going OOB also,on this play?
[/B][/QUOTE]

No T for the defender.

There was no shot taken since the whistle was blown, making the ball dead. A shot is defined as an attempt for basket during a live ball. [/B][/QUOTE]I think that you missed my point.The defender went OOB to gain an illegal advantage also-i.e. to stay close to the player he was supposed to be guarding(the guy that threw the ball in).Why T one and not the other?
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
No, but I warned once. Had a freshmen girls' game where the visitors were setting a screen right at the endline under the home team's basket. Home cutter started running wide and out of bounds around the screen -- even behind the lead official!! They did this twice, before I really realized what was happening. Because it was freshmen, and I wasn't sure the coach had seen this, I talked to her about it and that was the end.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think that you missed my point.The defender went OOB to gain an illegal advantage also-i.e. to stay close to the player he was supposed to be guarding(the guy that threw the ball in).Why T one and not the other?
Agreed. If you get one, you better get the other one as well.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
I think that you missed my point.The defender went OOB to gain an illegal advantage also-i.e. to stay close to the player he was supposed to be guarding(the guy that threw the ball in).Why T one and not the other?
You don't think it's like disconcertion where you only call the first one?
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 01:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Nope. Is there a rule that says to ignore the second player going OOB? The rule clearly points out disconcertion and it also points out the only the first lane violation will be called. But there's nothing that says that a T shouldn't be called on the second player in this case.

Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Nope.

Question is - do you call this a simultaneous technical foul or a false double technical foul?

(My choice is the false - once A1 was OOB, ball was dead for the technical. Also, B1 hesitated then ran OOB.)
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm not sure it's like disconcertion, but I probably only call the first one.

Once A goes out of bounds, the T is "earned" and the ball becomes dead.

Who's going to call a T on B for going OOB (but remaining in the area of the court and not delaying the ball becoming live) during a dead ball?
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, but everyone is saying that they're not calling it until A1 steps back inbounds and gets the ball. At that point, B1 has been OOB as well.