The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

I'd like to nominate IU's Mike Davis as "stupid coach of the week." Down 1 with 10 seconds to know, you have to be able to control yourself - Davis obviously couldn't, and got tossed with 2.6 seconds left in the game.

The ref who called the T's should be commended though for good game management - when Davis was about 1/3 of the way on the court, the ref just waved him back. It wasn't until Davis was in the middle of the paint (and the IU foul had been called) that the T was assessed. We always say that we don't want idiotic coaches/fans to determine the outcome of the game, and the ref in that situation did all he could to be sure of that.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 08:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
Step Away Step Away- Dang

I woulda whacked the kid holding me back if I was him. Didnt matter game was over regardless. I like to think I'd handle the situation like he did.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 08:08pm
In Memoriam

I thought that the official also showed amazing restraint before calling the 2nd T.I thought that the other two officials could have been in there a little quicker to get in between Davis and the ref,also.

I didn't see what Davis was complaining about anyway.It didn't look like the shooter got whacked in the head in the replay.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
Step Away Step Away- Dang

I woulda whacked the kid holding me back if I was him. Didnt matter game was over regardless. I like to think I'd handle the situation like he did.
Now that you mention it, I am a bit shocked. I probably would have ejected the player for a flagrant technical foul (if anything, he should be restraining the coach).
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 10:31pm
Official Forum Member

I hope that I could conduct myself as professionally as that ref (name?) in the same sitch. That was terrific management and control on his part. Telling Davis to "Walk away." about 5X before assessing the second T. That was good stuff!

Overall I thought they called a great game. It was definitely a game worthy of the hype, rivalry and all!
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 10:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well

Actually then 2 players would have been ejecected cuz one other guy wass being held too... But yeah. Where were the other three guys after the 1st T? and If a coach makes it that far out on to the court the first trip? I woulda kicked him then.

DO refs in NCAA not wear jackets? Cuz after every game you see them haul butt without going get a jacket.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ace
DO refs in NCAA not wear jackets? Cuz after every game you see them haul butt without going get a jacket.
They do wear jackets.

Generally, the refs go back to the locker room after the captains' meeting and come back at around 3 minutes, having left their jackets in the locker rooms.

High school refs (at least at schools where I've been) leave jackets at the table for the 1st half, then bring them back at halftime.

Quite frankly, the table area (i.e., right by benches) is not the best place to be immediately after a game (which is why they are often "hauling butt" to the showers!)
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah - If our director didnt make us SIGN the books at then end of the game I'd bring my stuff out to the car after my games unless I had back to back games ... then I'd leave my over shirt at the table (The league cant afford jackets :: shrug : So yeah. For some reason they force us to have some sort of interaction with the coaches after the game. Usually wanting to see who scored what. I told one coach that if he didnt away from my shoulder I would report him for interfeering with post-game requirments. Unfortuantly I had problems with him during the game too.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/galler...ky_lxa107.html

see that player- Ejection? or Technical?

[Edited by ace on Dec 22nd, 2002 at 01:33 AM]
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Given where they were in the game I think the official did what was right. He was focused on getting Davis off the court and ignored the player that grabbed him. He also showed remarkable control and kept his head throughout. He gave Davis an opportunity to regain his composer (you could read his lips saying "Walk away.") and could have run him MUCH earlier than he did. The two players could have been ejected as well, if the official would have not displayed a proffesional demeaner. If the same situation took place at say the 10:00 mark, I think the whole deal would have been handled differently.

My biggest concern is where the other two officials were while all this was going on. Davis was showing his arse for 30 seconds before I ever saw another official.
Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

If you see the highlights (or lowlights ) again, notice that when Davis is given the second T and ejected, one of the other officials is between Davis and the official who called both Ts. Also, I noticed that the official between the two of them put his whistle into his mouth, I believe, to give the 2nd T. His partner just narrowly beat him to it.
I have to give a big thumbs up to how the officials handled this situation and this game. Excellent control.
I totally agree with the waving back maneuver because Davis had a terrible angle on that play and was absolutely convinced his player was hit in the face on the drive. The official showed great judgment in understanding his point of view. Of course, video replay shows Davis was mistaken and that lost control of his emotions.

Lastly, I have give credit to Davis for his sincere apology in the post-game media conference. The last thing he wants is to take on Bobby Knight's IU reputation.

Bottom line: very intense game, very intense situation, very well handled.

Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Burns
. If the same situation took place at say the 10:00 mark, I think the whole deal would have been handled differently.

I was wondering how the situation would have been handled if this occured during the previous coaching administration.

Old Sun Dec 22, 2002, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

I've only seen bits and pieces of the incident but I think that Bert Smith,(never heard of him before but he handled that sit. well.) was waiting for another official to come in and try to move Davis out of the way. When Davis persisted and refused to be moved, tech 2.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

From ESPN:

http://espn.go.com/ncb/columns/katz_andy/1481357.html

"Davis was on the court and actually was hit with a technical first by official Mike Wood, who was down at the other end of the court, but not in the sights of the television cameras. Wood signaled a technical for Davis coming out onto the court. Smith was patient before signaling the first of two Ts that eventually gave Kentucky four free throws and Davis an early exit to the locker room."

Even though I believe there's a typo and it should read that "Smith was patient before signaling the second of two Ts..."
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Coach Davis was correct that his player was hit in the head on the drive to the basket! However, replays clearly show that he was whacked on the head by his own player!!!!! The lead official was in great position to make the call and he made no call. I can't believe the restraint he showed in the situation. The adrenaline must have been pumping but he looked like he had been there a thousand times before. Great Job!!!
Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 03:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
The lead official was in great position to make the call and he made no call.
I don't know how great the lead's position was on this play. I would prefer to be on the same side of the basket as the drive, myself. On this play Bert was on the table side while the drive came from the other side of the court. I believe the C had primary responsibilty for this call and that to top it off, Davis was yelling at the wrong official! Now if the lead was working deep off the endline, he would have had a nice look, but I can't see him in the replays until Davis is on the court and he is waving him back which makes me think that he wasn't very deep.
How many of you 3-man college guys would have been rotating to the ball side on this play?