The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

JR,

These were the type of guys who knew everything even though they didn't, if you know what I mean. They certainly weren't going to hear anything I had to say even though I have probably officiated more games than they have together. I also was sulking a little bit as I wasn't thrilled with keeping the book in the first place. They are lucky I wasn't an evaluator sitting in the stands. I don't think I would have had enough red ink in my pen for these guys. I can't tolerate officials who are out of position, have poor rules knowledge, and use poor mechanics. These are all things that every official can and should be able to master. Some may never grasp some advanced concepts but the aforementioned are easily attained with a little effort.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 05:38pm
In Memoriam

BigJoe,are these guys in the same association as you,or do you happen to know their supervisor? If their problem is "attitude" instead of a lack of knowledge,experience,or training - then someone should be told of the problem.Maybe it's not too late to save them,and turn them into good officials.If it can be done,it might be better that way for everybody-teams,coaches,other officials that have to work with them,etc.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

JR,

Don't know where the guys were from or who they were. They arrived on the court at the 10 minute mark and promptly had a meeting with the captains. They failed to invite the coaches as per the state league mandate to have the coaches in the captains meeting. They then checked the book but didn't sign it. In Northern Minnesota where I live, there are alot of small associations. Officials may travel up to 100 miles to a game. I don't know alot of the officials from associations outside a 50 mile radius. The ones I know are usually the ones that are at the top end of the associations and work section and state tournament games or are the Charter Rules Clinician for the Association.
Old Sat Dec 21, 2002, 06:46pm
In Memoriam

Sounds like these 2 guys weren't doing a very good job representing their association, BigJoe. Unfortunately,that reflects on all of us.
Old Mon Dec 23, 2002, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe
This pair returned from halftime in the locker room with one minute left on the clock and asked where the visiting team was. I asked them if they had given them the three minute warning. The official by the table said it was the tables job! I tried to hold back but I just couldn't. I said that he should check his rule book under the referees duties. I said it was his job to make sure that they were to be notified.
Hey Joe, in 10 years of officiating, you want to know how many times I've notified the visitors at the 3 minute mark? Care to guess?

Chuck
Game a couple of weeks ago, we had a bad first half. I talked too long in the locker room, and came out with :45 on the clock. Went to the R, told him we hadn't been notified at 3:00, and asked him to reset the clock, which he did.

Old Tue Dec 24, 2002, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

To slow yourself down--practice at home. Get it down (looking in a mirror) exactly like you want it. If you will do this enough through practice at home it will carry through to the game situations with a little time.