The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

hello,
i was working a game tuesday night with a great partner, we switched when we were supposed to,and was on top of every call, but one thing bothered me with 9 minutes to go in the second half (a) goes in for a lay up and (b) goes too block the shot and slaps the backboard the ball rolls off the rim, i am the lead official my partner the trail immediately calls basket interference and counts the basket, remember we are using federation rules, before i could get to my partner to say anything the points were on the scoreboard, i backed off and never said anything, but after the game i asked him are you sure that was the right ruling and he was completely confident that he made the right call.
Watch your thoughts; they become words. Watch your words; they become actions. Watch your actions, they become habits. Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.

Tim Harris
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Well, he didn't.

Basket interference occurs when a player:
Touches the ball or basket, (including the net), when the ball is on or within either basket.
Touches the ball when it is touching the cylinder having the ring as its lower base.
Touches the ball outside the cylinder while reaching through the basket from below.

Pass it on the next time you see him.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:41pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Well, he should have been "completely confident" he made the wrong call.

Attempting a legitimate block and hitting the backboard on the follow-through is a no call whether the ball is touched or not. Period.

Well, at least it is under NF rules.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
Well, he should have been "completely confident" he made the wrong call.

Attempting a legitimate block and hitting the backboard on the follow-through is a no call whether the ball is touched or not. Period.

Well, at least it is under NF rules.
Exactly the same under NCAA rules,Mark.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

Had this play in my game tonight. Only I will clearly state that my partner did not feel it was a legit block attempt, so he gave the T. The ball did not go in and the coach asked for the basket, but we both knew the BI rule and denied his request.

Now if my partner had counted the basket, I am going to correct him. I don't care if the points are on the scoreboard yet or not. It is easy to hit a couple of buttons and take them off.
I pride myself on the fact that any crew that I am a part of will not screw-up a rule.