The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 05:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Don't know...got a casebook??? Check it...the key is that the rule doesn't say you can't...and in the situation described, the player was inbounds when they touched the ball again, and was not dribbling the ball when they went oob, so we got nothing...
The key to me is that all the rulebooks I have read outlines how an interrupted dribble is to be evaluated differently than a regular dribble. So in all other cases than the ones mentioned in the rulebook an interrupted dribble is to be ruled the same as a regular dribble. And we all know that the rulebook says that on a regular dribble a player cannot touch the OOB line even if the time of contact with the line does not coincide with the time the ball is actually touching the hand.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jking_94577
Quote:
Don't know...got a casebook??? Check it...the key is that the rule doesn't say you can't...and in the situation described, the player was inbounds when they touched the ball again, and was not dribbling the ball when they went oob, so we got nothing...
The key to me is that all the rulebooks I have read outlines how an interrupted dribble is to be evaluated differently than a regular dribble. So in all other cases than the ones mentioned in the rulebook an interrupted dribble is to be ruled the same as a regular dribble. And we all know that the rulebook says that on a regular dribble a player cannot touch the OOB line even if the time of contact with the line does not coincide with the time the ball is actually touching the hand.
Huh? Could you post the exact wording of the rules or case book to back up this statement?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
Quote:
Huh? Could you post the exact wording of the rules or case book to back up this statement?
So can you dribble with two hands when it is an interrupted dribble? There is no rule that says that we cannot do that so according to rockyroad we can.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
Quote:
So can you dribble with two hands when it is an interrupted dribble? There is no rule that says that we cannot do that so according to rockyroad we can.
I'm not saying you can or can't do anything. I didn't understand your post, so I asked you to post the exact wording of rules or case book to back up what you are discussing.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:15pm
Official Forum Member

There are no specific words to this claim but how are we supposed to govern an interrupted dribble when we only have 3 rules that apply to it. The only sensible thing to me is extrapolate the rules of the dribble for the interrupted dribble.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:27pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
[So can you dribble with two hands when it is an interrupted dribble? There is no rule that says that we cannot do that so according to rockyroad we can. [/B]
Whoa there young fella...don't be saying what I think is right or wrong...of course you can't DRIBBLE during an INTERRUPTED DRIBBLE...now you're just being silly...I am really not sure why you are having such a hard time with this concept...the fact remains that a player who is DRIBBLING the ball and steps out of bounds while DRIBBLING the ball has committed a violation...a player who momentarily loses control of the ball (hint: that's an interrupted dribble) and then goes oob, but comes back in bounds before touching the ball again has not committed a violation...sigh - seems like that's already been said...
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There are no specific words to this claim but how are we supposed to govern an interrupted dribble when we only have 3 rules that apply to it. The only sensible thing to me is extrapolate the rules of the dribble for the interrupted dribble.
Dude, what's the problem? Everything you've been told is correct.

If you want to know the difference in a dribble and an interrupted dribble, it's this. There is no player control during an interrupted dribble. An interrupted dribble is not a dribble. A player who is not in control of the ball cannot cause the ball to go OOB, unless he touches OOB while touching the ball or the ball goes OOB.

Whether the player intentionally allows the ball to get away from him or if it happens accidentally, is not an issue. It's still an interrupted dribble.

The play is legal. The key is that there is no player control. It's no different than 7.1.1B.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

I just want to say good luck on how you decide what is enough to constitute "losing the ball" or "control of the ball" and what constitutes another dribble. How long does the ball have to be out of your possession to constitute being a loose ball?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

It is not something that you can say 1.5 sec, a minute, or anytime frame. Lost control, deflected, Interuppted dribble.

AK ref SE
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 07:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
I just want to say good luck on how you decide what is enough to constitute "losing the ball" or "control of the ball" and what constitutes another dribble. How long does the ball have to be out of your possession to constitute being a loose ball?
It was defined about 15 years ago as "The ball being far enough away from you so that you are not able to immediately dribble".That was when there was a rule saying it was illegal to dribble a 2nd. time after an interrupted dribble.That definition still is valid,as far as I know.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 4 Section 15 Article 6d:

Out of bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.

Does that help?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

What do you have if the player who has interrupted his or her dribble and to retrieve the ball goes around the defender, touches OOB and gets the ball? Would any of you call a T in this situation?

I'm looking for help on 10.3.4. A player shall not: . . . Leave the court for an unauthorized reason or delay returning after legally being out of bounds.

Thanks
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ronald
Rule 4 Section 15 Article 6d:

Out of bounds violation does not apply on the player involved in the interrupted dribble.
Touche'!

Quote:
What do you have if the player who has interrupted his or her dribble and to retrieve the ball goes around the defender, touches OOB and gets the ball? Would any of you call a T in this situation?

I'm looking for help on 10.3.4. A player shall not: . . . Leave the court for an unauthorized reason or delay returning after legally being out of bounds.
Not me. I would probably never make a call under this rule unless everyone in the building knew why the call was being made. For example, player ran out one door into the lobby and back into another door.

Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
There is no time requirement with regard to judging that the ball is loose. We're paid to make that type of judgment. Are you telling us that you can't judge when an interrupted dribble begins?

Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So can you dribble with two hands when it is an interrupted dribble?
As rockyroad pointed out, one cannot dribble during and interrupted dribble. This is because a player must have control to dribble and during an interrupted dribble there is none by definition.

Now if you would ask, "Can a player touch or bat the ball with both hands during an interrupted dribble?"

Then the answer would be yes. He may even do this more than once without violating! As long as you judge that there is no player control, you do not have a double dribble violation. (Again, this is because you don't have a dribble to begin with )