The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:14pm
Jerry Blum

Last Night Girls varsity tournament game. Middle 4th quarter A1 dribbles through press and creates basically a 2 on 1 fast break. A2 and B1 were in the lane on the press and stayed in that general area as A1 drove from half court to the free throw line extended. At this point A2 was in the middle of the lane between A1 and B1, A2 turns her back to B1(Sort of like a block out). As A1 continues to drive to the basket B1 attempts to get around A2, A2 slides down the lane blocking B1's path. Partner call's a foul on A2 for blocking or pushing don't remember what he signaled. We were in the double bonus both ways so we waved off the layup by A1(foul before shot) and gave B1 2 shots at the other end.

Now I was pretty sure we did this correctly but as I was leaving I ran into Team A's coach and he asked me about shooting the free throws for that foul and I told him that because it was not a Player Control foul we shot the free throws. But after talking to him I started to have a little doubt.

Just wanted some idea of what everyone thinks about this.

Thanks
Jerry
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

The way you describe it, you did things right.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:22pm
Official Forum Member

he might have been thinking of the new NCAA rule, which follows the NBA rule of not shooting on any offensive fouls; HS rule still applies only to PC fouls, so, assuming you are using HS rules, you are right
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Hi Jerry:

Great to see your name.

This sounds like a situation that you have to say that you would have to be there to see it. From what you are explaining, I believe that your partner made the correct call, IF THERE WAS CONTACT initiated by A2 to B1. Personal foul, illegal screen. If there was no contact then I would say, no call.

Hope to catch up to you in the near future. Have a great holiday Jerry!!

John
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

No shots

Team control foul. This rule covers PC, illegal screens, and fouls on the offensive team during a loose ball. The call sounds like it was correct, but under the new rule (Team Control) no shots should have been awarded.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:33pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally posted by kmref
No shots

Team control foul. This rule covers PC, illegal screens, and fouls on the offensive team during a loose ball. The call sounds like it was correct, but under the new rule (Team Control) no shots should have been awarded.
This was a high school, not college game. The rules for offensive fouls are different. See hawkk's post above.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kmref
No shots

For NCAA rules, this may be correct. For Fed rules, there is no "team control" foul. If it's not player control, then you shoot when in the bonus.

also, because this was not a PC foul, if the shot had been released prior to the foul/whistle, then it would have counted had it gone.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 01:30pm
Jerry Blum

Sorry, I should have specified that this was High school game using Fed rules.

Thanks for your responses.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

JERRY

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Blum
Sorry, I should have specified that this was High school game using Fed rules.

Thanks for your responses.
It should have been evident it was a game with NFHS rules. You implied it in a couple of ways: girls' Varsity... 4th qtr
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 03:17pm
In Memoriam

Re:

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
[/B]
It should have been evident it was a game with NFHS rules. You implied it in a couple of ways: girls' Varsity... 4th qtr [/B][/QUOTE]Good catch,Sherlock!
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Talking JR

You are either pure genuis, or one sick dude...

I prefer to believe the former, but the latter seems to be prevalent
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 04:03pm
Esteemed Participant

Re: JR

Quote:

He's both...he's a genius in a really, really, really sick kind of way!!!
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 04:51pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: JR

Quote:
Originally posted by rockyroad
Quote:

He's both...he's a genius in a really, really, really sick kind of way!!!
Aw shucks,guys!
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 07:46am
Official Forum Member

HS and college mix-up

Jerry Blum,
From your recent posts, I have learned that you are both a HS and college official. I'm also convinced that you are a pretty good one.
However, it seems that you might be lacking in your recent study of the NFHS rules. Did you take some time away from the high school game and just call college ball for a while?

As nicely as I can say this, you need to brush up on that Fed. rules book or make the decision to call only college games. You may not realize it, but you are actually not being fair to your HS partners/association if you are you getting confused and messing up the HS rules because of your college work.

I'm sure your college assignors would be all over you if you botched an NCAA rule due to time spent working HS ball. The assignor may well tell you to stop working NFHS games or stop working for him!

Just MHO and something you might consider thinking about.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 08:59am
Jerry Blum

Re: HS and college mix-up

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Jerry Blum,
From your recent posts, I have learned that you are both a HS and college official. I'm also convinced that you are a pretty good one.
However, it seems that you might be lacking in your recent study of the NFHS rules. Did you take some time away from the high school game and just call college ball for a while?

As nicely as I can say this, you need to brush up on that Fed. rules book or make the decision to call only college games. You may not realize it, but you are actually not being fair to your HS partners/association if you are you getting confused and messing up the HS rules because of your college work.

I'm sure your college assignors would be all over you if you botched an NCAA rule due to time spent working HS ball. The assignor may well tell you to stop working NFHS games or stop working for him!

Just MHO and something you might consider thinking about.
Nevadaref,
Actually no I am not a college official. I am actually in my 3rd full year and this is my first year where the majority of my games are varsity games. I feel I have a pretty good handle on the rules but I am always trying to learn something more. Like I said in my original post I was pretty sure we handled this situation correctly I was just asked about it by one of the coaches and it left some doubt and I didn't have a chance to find it in the rule books.