The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ace
I've seen some talk about this and I was asked to be a third man last week because my director had an eye infection but still insisted on calling the game so they asked me to jump in at the last second as a third guy (I Love three man!) But he called the closely gaurded and I asked my partner for the next game who called basketbll back when it was the Southwest Officials Assc. (Its now TASO- I am in TEXAS!) So maybe some of you texas guys can explain this too me so I dont get blind sidded by a coach if he's riding me for the call.

In my head this is what I take it to be....
If a player picks up the dribble or has a guy 3-6 within range of him and he's dribbling with no forward progress start counting 1.... 2..... 3.... 4.... 5..... -at five call him for 5 seconds and reward the ball to the defense? OR is it when someones made him pick up the dribble and the guy cant get rid of it 5 seconds give ball back to the offense. I checked NCAA rulebook and it didnt make much sense so can somoen please fill me in. Thanks
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:09am
Official Forum Member

For NCAA:
Mens - Holding or dribbling front court only (forward progress has nothing to do with it)
womans- Holding only front or back court

NFHS- same as NCAA mens

Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

whats the call and penalty?

Who gets the ball - thats what i was getting at- what about on full court presses?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

On a full court press, you won't have a closely guarded count (in Men's NCAA/NF) because they don't start until the ball is in the frontcourt.

The 5 second closely-guarded call is always a violation on the offense. The defense will be awarded the ball OOB at the spot nearest where the ball was when the play was whistled dead.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

can you guys pull some stuff out of a casebook for me? AGH! Sucks being to young to join any groups or something to get one.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Ace:

I read your profile and see that you are a young man who has many interests. Your gumption to be a basketball official is great. I strongly recommend that you find a positive, seasoned veteran who is willing to mentor you on the basics of basketball. Realistically, you should spend more time understanding the basics before you step into the role of an official.

To answer your question about closely guarded calls...

There are three phases that a violation can occur: (keep in mind that in all these situations the defender(s) maintains a guarding position of 6 ft or less.

1. Ballhandler is initially guarded by a defender (start the count.) If the defender(s) keep them "closely guarded" for a 5 second count you have a violation.
2. If at any time during the initial 5 second count the ballhandler starts a dribble start the second phase of 5 second counts when the ballhandler starts a dribble.
3. After the ballhandler picks up the dribble, start the last phase of the 5 second counts.

Ultimately, (as indicated on an earlier thread), the ballhandler can maintain a legal possession for 14.7 seconds without a violation.

Also keep in mind that you "reset" the count if the defender backs away from the 6-foot range, the ballhandler passes to a teammate, OR the ballhandler gets past the defender on a drive toward the basket.

An additional note: closely guarded situations can only happen in the FRONTCOURT.

I am sure other veterans here will have additional comments...
Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

Thank you
you are correct that I have many intrests. I understand basketball pretty well. There are just some things that even guys 2 times my age have problems with. I knew what the rule was about just wasnt sure on the technicalities of it but you cleared it up for me just fine. Thanks....

Old Thu Dec 19, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

ACE:

One of the best investments you can make is buying the rules book, case book, simplified & illustrated rules book, and Official's Manual. They would only cost a game or two in fees and then you have the accurate information at your disposal.
Old Fri Dec 20, 2002, 05:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
One of the best investments you can make is buying the rules book, case book, simplified & illustrated rules book, and Official's Manual. They would only cost a game or two in fees and then you have the accurate information at your disposal.
Order them from the website. http://www.nfhs.org