The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 03:14pm
Official Forum Member

O.K. here's the set up. Varsity boys game. 5 seconds left, score 46-45 in favor of team A. Team b has the ball out of bounds on the baseline opposite their basket. Team b throws the ball almost the length of the court. Team b player catches the ball drives the rest of the way puts up a lay up that is no good and time expires. My patner and I leave the court followed by team b's coaches. He informs me that the ball hit the roof on the inbounds throw. And that team A should get the ball for a throw in at the baseline. I tell him I didn't see it and by this time my partner is no where to be found. Once I reach the locker room I ask him what happened. He said that it hit the roof and that he let it go, to see what would happen. He said had team b scored he would have brought the ball back and given it to team A for a throw in.
I am 22 years old and have been calling varsity ball for only four years. My parnter is 45 and has been calling for nearly 20 years. I am in no position to agrue for very long. I think that he got wrong, but I need you guys to help me sort out the mess.

Thanks in advance
Kayne
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

Your partner got it "wrong"...but, don't "argue" with him over it!
Discuss the situation with each other and "decide" together what would have been the correct procedure.
If he still insists that he would wait to see what would happen...fine...let him...you know what's right and I'm sure so does he.
This situation is different than "holding" on a foul during a shot attempt.
This was a clear violation, like stepping OOB on a throw-in, that should have been called and not "held" on.

Dude
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Your partner got it "wrong"...but, don't "argue" with him over it!
Agreed
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 03:57pm
Get away from me, Steve.

This would've been easy to correct, too. Since the clock never started (and the ball never came on the floor), you could put the five seconds back on and bring the ball back to the original spot of the throw-in.

As far as working with older partners:

I worked a varsity game with a grizzled vet my first varsity season. I missed a very blatant instance of a ball hitting a support wire. The next time down the floor, the ball went out of bounds and I made what was the correct call. My partner came in and strongly overruled me, saying the ball had been tipped.

At halftime, he bragged up his make-up call. I was disgusted, but kept my mouth shut. I never worked with the partner again -- scheduled once, but I switched with another official who liked the guy.

Sometimes it is better to just move on to the next game, y'know? But now you know the right answer for next time.

Rich
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:21pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
Once you left the confines of the court, it is too late to fix the situation. Your experienced partner was wrong! Hopefully this will help you in the future to get up the nerve to tell other experienced partners to please do it the right way on the floor so that you will learn the proper way to do it. Stroke their ego a bit and they will be more willing to help you.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 04:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bigwhistle
Stroke their ego a bit and they will be more willing to help you.
Or "Breathe in my ear and I'll follow you anywhere!"

Whereinhell did that one come from? The old "Laugh In" show,wasn't it? Where's Padgett?

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Dec 17th, 2002 at 03:37 PM]