The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

I had this one last week in a JV game. The ball went out-of-bounds right in front of the table, and Coach A requests a TO, which I granted. I go to the reporting area to give the info to the table, ask the coach if it's a full or a 30, etc. Then I retrieve the ball, and get ready to take the spot where the ball will come back in for the throw-in, but if I do, I'm right in front of the table, and my partner would be at half-court, either behind the circle for a full TO or in front of it for a 30. Where should I go on this play? I certainly don't want to be on the sideline between the two huddles.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

I'm wondering...where do you stand on a timeout normally?

30 secs=top of key above 3-pt line
full= blocks
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

I would ask you assignor/supervisor. This sort of thing may be really important to him/her.

I would not stand between the huddles. I would go to center court and my P should be at the top of the key, 3-point line, in the lead position.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Where to stand

In a situation like that just back up onto the court away from the table to just in front of the center circle facing the throw in spot while holding the ball. You may be near your partner but that's OK. You can do a quick game reset while observing both benches. When the huddles break just stride to the spot for the throw in.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 02:44pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by kmref

full= blocks
This is not the NF mechanic...it changed last year.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by stripes
Quote:

full= blocks
But it is the TASO mechanic
Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 06:05pm
9 times

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
Quote:

full= blocks
But it is the TASO mechanic
That's great for the TASO refs out there, but if we start representing mechanics as NF approved when they aren't, we will get a lot of confused refs out there. I noticed that kmref is from NY state and they may also use the old mechanic (which, BTW I like a lot better), but that is not the NF mechanic.

Old Tue Dec 17, 2002, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

massref has it right. Get onto the court in front of the center circle. The purpose of standing where the ball will come in is to communicate to the coaches where it is going to happen... don't think they had any doubt in this case.

Check your mechanics manual Pg. 43, paragraph 273.
"...except when on the table side nearer the scorer or team benches, move straight out on the floor.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:49am
Official Forum Member

Red face Where to stand

Sorry, it's early here in the east, but what is TASO?
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Where to stand

Quote:
Originally posted by massref
Texas Association of Sports Officials.

stripes,

I'm not advocating or saying that areas that are to use the NF mechanic should do anything else. I was merely pointing out that not all areas use these mechanics en-total. So, a statement that we should all use Fed mechanics could confuse a new official whose area uses something else.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 05:27pm
Do not give a damn!!

Talking Another "Regional" difference?

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
massref has it right. Get onto the court in front of the center circle. The purpose of standing where the ball will come in is to communicate to the coaches where it is going to happen... don't think they had any doubt in this case.

Check your mechanics manual Pg. 43, paragraph 273.
"...except when on the table side nearer the scorer or team benches, move straight out on the floor.
I still do not like this new mechanic. They put you right in front of the table, which in my opinion draws you in a confrontation with the coaches, which I thought they wanted us to avoid. In the 3 Person mechanic, they keep you away from the table. But then again, not a major issue for me, I hardly ever do a 2 person game.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 05:51pm
9 times

Re: Re: Where to stand

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
Quote:
Originally posted by massref
Texas Association of Sports Officials.

stripes,

I'm not advocating or saying that areas that are to use the NF mechanic should do anything else. I was merely pointing out that not all areas use these mechanics en-total. So, a statement that we should all use Fed mechanics could confuse a new official whose area uses something else.
Fair enough, but it has always been my understanding that the things discussed here are explained using NF (or NCAA or FIBA as it applies to the situation) as the basis for how things are to be done. An inexperienced TASO official might be confused, but in the realm of who uses the board, TASO will be the overwhelming minority. I guess the bottom line is to find out how it is done in your neck of the woods and do it that way.

Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:03pm
Do not give a damn!!

Re: Re: Re: Where to stand

Quote:

Fair enough, but it has always been my understanding that the things discussed here are explained using NF (or NCAA or FIBA as it applies to the situation) as the basis for how things are to be done. An inexperienced TASO official might be confused, but in the realm of who uses the board, TASO will be the overwhelming minority. I guess the bottom line is to find out how it is done in your neck of the woods and do it that way.
Stripes,

I always find it interesting to here about what other officials do all over the country. Maybe it the TASO is a minority of sorts, but the reality is that all states to not just blindly abide by everything that the NF does. That is why it is always good to do what was suggested before, do what your assignors want you to do.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:41pm
9 times

Re: Re: Re: Re: Where to stand

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
Quote:

Stripes,

I always find it interesting to here about what other officials do all over the country. Maybe it the TASO is a minority of sorts, but the reality is that all states to not just blindly abide by everything that the NF does. That is why it is always good to do what was suggested before, do what your assignors want you to do.

Peace
I agree that it is interesting to see what happens in different parts of the country. I just worry that if we pass things off as "the way it should be done" when it is a regional or localthing, we send the wrong message. For every poster, I am sure that there are several "lurkers" who haven't gotten up the gumption to write and are here to learn. I am worried thta there are times thatsome will get information that is correct in certain locations, but is not accepted where they are. Therefore, like Jeff said, do what the supervisor wants.

Old Wed Dec 18, 2002, 06:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It is called the internet.

Stripes

Some would not even come to this board because the individuals that have little credibility are posting. It is not like the majority of individuals that post here are very well accomplished or very well respected officials all over the country. I do not see Ted Higgins or Ed Hightower posting on a regular basis. Most of us, including myself are just average Joes in the world of officiating. So you have to weed thru the information to begin with.

Peace