The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Restart counts? (FED) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/66013-restart-counts-fed.html)

Mark Padgett Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:10pm

Restart counts? (FED)

In another thread, the issue of "restarting counts" after timeouts came up. I thought this issue was deserving of a separate thread, so this is it.

I've had discussions with guys about changing the FED rule about restarting 10 second, 5 second and even 3 second counts (plus, I guess, shot clock counts) if the offensive team is awarded a timeout. Some of the guys think the count should restart after the inbound where it left off, while others like it the way it is. The main argument by those who want to leave it alone is that the number of timeouts is finite, and if a coach wants to "waste one" to avoid a turnover, then that's equitable.

Comments on that point?

Multiple Sports Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:33pm

BOO !!!!! Bad Idea

Mark -

I like the way it is now. If a coach has to burn time outs early in the game, then so be it.

Suspending 5 sec. counts would be completely insane !!!!!!

grunewar Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:35pm

I don't mind it the way it is now. I say leave it alone.

APG Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:38pm

I'd be in favor of a hard count for backcourt counts if there was a shot clock (though if it was a rule even w/o a shot clock I wouldn't be against it). Everything else I'm okay with how it is handled.

Multiple Sports Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:42pm

Hey Grunwear ???????

Who is assigning all those events at Hoop Magic now since C.V. is no longer involved.

Is Cardinal as a board ???????

Sorry to highjack the forum Mark .........

APG Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 745663)
Who is assigning all those events at Hoop Magic now since C.V. is no longer involved.

Is Cardinal as a board ???????

Sorry to highjack the forum Mark .........

Private messages...they're your friend.

Multiple Sports Thu Mar 31, 2011 06:47pm

My Bad.........

Sorry APG - please give me a free pass for this one discretion.........

Adam Thu Mar 31, 2011 07:29pm

Wanted: Problem. Contact Solution at 555.123.4567

It ain't broke. A coach only has 5 TOs per game, if he wants to burn them to save a violation, what's the big deal? I'm against suspending 5 second counts and 10 second counts.

The entire idea is silly, IMO.

bainsey Thu Mar 31, 2011 09:53pm

Too problematic to change. I don't see it happening.

CoachP Fri Apr 01, 2011 05:25am

Quote:

Originally Posted by snaqwells (Post 745672)
it ain't broke. A coach only has 5 tos per game, if he wants to burn them to save a violation, what's the big deal? I'm against suspending 5 second counts and 10 second counts.

The entire idea is silly, imo.

+1

Raymond Fri Apr 01, 2011 07:51am

The only one I want to see it applied to is the the backcourt count.

Resume from the unexpired portion of the count, or 5 seconds, whichever is more for:
  • Offensive time-out that stops play
  • Inadvertant whistle
  • Defense deflects ball OOB

Judtech Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:33am

IMO, picking up the count where it left off after a TO is a big can of worms. Let's say the count was 7. Do we start 7 8 9 10? Or do we start 8 9 10? We will have to inform coaches which is always 'fun', considering it can be a hassle to see if they want a 'full or 30". To me it just adds another layer of 'bureacracy" (even if it is misspelled!)

Raymond Fri Apr 01, 2011 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Judtech (Post 745803)
IMO, picking up the count where it left off after a TO is a big can of worms. Let's say the count was 7. Do we start 7 8 9 10? Or do we start 8 9 10? We will have to inform coaches which is always 'fun', considering it can be a hassle to see if they want a 'full or 30". To me it just adds another layer of 'bureacracy" (even if it is misspelled!)

Maybe we should start counting backwards. :D

Judtech Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 745807)
Maybe we should start counting backwards. :D

do you not already?:confused::D

Zoochy Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:49am

I only count backwards for the last 10 seconds of each quarter. :D