The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 03:14pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
2011 National High School Invitational Championship

Anyone else watch the Oak Hill (VA) vs Montrose Christian (MD) game today? Wild!

Earlier in the yr the two team’s played and Montrose won in double OT 70-62 (so, we know who wasn’t officiating), handing Oak Hill one of their only three losses of the year.

The game starts off horribly! I mean bad. With 3:57 to go in the first quarter, the score was 1-1! At the end of the first quarter it was 8-6.

At one point both teams were shooting a total of 6 for 35 from the field!!

The jitters wore off in the second half and closed in excellent fashion going into OT.

Call of the game IMO -in OT, Oak Hill up by 2. Montrose is bringing the ball up the court with little to no pressure (but their point guard was injured a short time ago in the game). TWEET! 10 second violation!! I replayed it and the count started at 1:45 and the official made his call at 1:34 – great call!

Montrose won in double OT again, 71-64.

Last edited by grunewar; Sat Apr 02, 2011 at 03:22pm. Reason: spelling
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 04:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

I watched it. I don't mind games in which I am not officiating (nor waiting for them to end so my game can start on time) going into overtime, and this one went into two of them. As to the back court violation - they had the game and shot clocks on the screen and when the shot clock got down to 28, it became obvious they were going to violate. The weird part was that there was really no pressure at all and their coach wasn't yelling at them to get the ball over the line. BTW - do you know why espn using the term "RISE" for this tournament?
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
BTW - do you know why espn using the term "RISE" for this tournament?
RISE is ESPN's brand for high school sports.
Old Sat Apr 02, 2011, 07:30pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
The weird part was that there was really no pressure at all and their coach wasn't yelling at them to get the ball over the line.
I thought the weird part was when the reserve pg (#10) went back to get the ball and actually caused the violation.
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 10:42am
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadman15241 View Post
RISE is ESPN's brand for high school sports.
Is it an acronym for something?
Old Sun Apr 03, 2011, 11:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Here's what my extensive research shows......

ESPN RISE represents ESPN’s commitment to support, inform, inspire and connect high school athletes.

ESPN RISE is a high school sports magazine published monthly during the school year in 25 markets around the United States. Founded as SchoolSports magazine in Boston in 1997, the publication changed its name to RISE in 2006 and was purchased by ESPN in January 2008. The new brand name is now known as ESPN RISE.

Sensing the high school sports market was being undercovered by local newspapers and television stations, SchoolSports was founded in 1997 in the Greater Boston area. In addition to being one of the first publications dedicated to covering high school sports, SchoolSports also gave student-athletes a voice by allowing them to submit articles for publication in the SchoolBeat section. The magazine's distribution model was also unique, as the publication was sent directly to area high schools free of charge.

Over the next 10 years, the magazine expanded to 25 markets. All told, RISE has a monthly circulation of more than 1,000,000.

ESPN RISE assets include ESPN RISE publishing; ESPNRISE.COM; mobile and social media products; and more than 100 competitive and elite high school events, including ESPN RISE Elite 11, Elite 24, ESPN RISE Games, ESPN RISE National High School Invitational, Faster to First, Area Code Baseball and Nike Combines/Nike SPARQ Mini Camps.