The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:23pm
Official Forum Member

Did three Jv games last night. We had perscription eyeglasses going all over the floor - seemed like all night long.

None of the kids were interested in or had any straps to secure them. I can clearly recall one poor kid was crawling around in the lane searching for his with play going on all around him. Blindly feeling with both hands. Lucky they/he didn't get crunched.

Thoughts? What should we do? Stop play...?

It really impacted parts of the game.

Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me that the player is NOT properly equipped. It is amazing how quickly a solution can be found when the player is facing NO playing time...

Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

I like that! Is it Supported by the rules?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:41pm
Administrator

Nothing in the rules (NFHS, NCAA Men's/Women's, or FIBA) require a player who wears glasses to wear glass straps. A player CANNOT be considered to be not properly equipped. If a player's glasses come off stop play, use good judgement as when to stop play (the rules consider glasses and contact lenses the same as an injured player). Get the problem taken care as quickly as possible and then get the game restarted. Do not apply rules that do not exist to a situation that is already covered in the rules.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 02:48am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
In Texas, the policy is to stop the game immediately when glasses are on the floor or contacts have fallen out of the eyes. You don't want them crunched, broken, mutilated or whathave you. Glasses cost a lot of money and you don't want to be held responsible for it.

Yes, I believe that kids should have spring loaded glasses with straps and safety lenses if they are going to wear them. Contacts are the best solution, both for players and officials. I personally have broken glasses twice and it wasn't because the glasses were on the ground. I was hit in the face with the ball.
Old Sat Dec 14, 2002, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Had it last night in a girls JV game. Glasses came off, her team had the ball starting to go the other way, but a full court press.

No hesitation, tweet.... glasses on the floor. Pick them up and go!

Had a first last night though. Back court throw in on the end line, girl heaves a long pass to team mate in the FC, BUT the ball hits the banner hanging from the ceiling about 30 feet in the air. Tweet, throw-in violation. I've had these before, but NEVER witht he banner so high in the air.