The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 03:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
One play I'm still uncomfortable with:

Okay, one play that I see fairly often that I'm uncomfortable with:

Rebounding A1 and B1 both go straight up close together, arms all next to each other. A1 gets the better angle and both hands on the ball, but B1 doesn't give up. A1 gets possession but also B1's arm, which is now clamped between A1's arm and A1's body, with little or none of B1's hand touching the ball. A1 is still intensely "squeezing the ball" as teammates are recommending loudly, and in the process is squeezing B1's arm. It's NOT B1's fault, she's just trying to get her arm back, but not a lot she can do. I've seen partners call holding on A1, "illegal use of hands" on B1, and nothin. I usually call nothin, but don't like it.

What to do, what to do, she fretted nervously?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 05:07am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
Rebounding A1 and B1 both go straight up close together, arms all next to each other. A1 gets the better angle and both hands on the ball, but B1 doesn't give up. A1 gets possession but also B1's arm, which is now clamped between A1's arm and A1's body, with little or none of B1's hand touching the ball. A1 is still intensely "squeezing the ball" as teammates are recommending loudly, and in the process is squeezing B1's arm. It's NOT B1's fault, she's just trying to get her arm back, but not a lot she can do. I've seen partners call holding on A1, "illegal use of hands" on B1, and nothin. I usually call nothin, but don't like it.
As you said yourself,Juulie,if you think that it's "not B1's fault",then you don't have a call and there's nothin' not to like.Delay the whistle and let B1 get her arm out of there.It may take a coupla seconds,but that's usually what happens.If B1 uses the arm to move A1,again in your opinion,then you might have to make a call.

Just let the situation play itself out,then do what YOU think is best for that PARTICULAR situation.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Heaven help us all, but I agree with JR

If it's just a case of unintentionally being tangled up, then I have nothing. If it becomes clear that A1 is trying to keep B1 pinned behind him/her, then it's a hold on A1. If B1 is using the pinned arm to pull A1's arm off the ball, then it's a hold on B1. I don't see these as fouls very often. Usually, one or both players realizes the play is over and tries to get untangled. Detangled? Disentangled? Dis-tangled? Dat-tangled?

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

I'm no expert, but we all see this. I try to hold the whistle in this situation providing the players appear to be trying to continue with the game. But if someone does something pretty stupid, like swinging for the ball and whacking the arm instead, I call it pretty quickly so that type of extracurricular activity stops.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Heaven help us all, but I agree with JR

If it's just a case of unintentionally being tangled up, then I have nothing. If it becomes clear that A1 is trying to keep B1 pinned behind him/her, then it's a hold on A1. If B1 is using the pinned arm to pull A1's arm off the ball, then it's a hold on B1. I don't see these as fouls very often. Usually, one or both players realizes the play is over and tries to get untangled. Detangled? Disentangled? Dis-tangled? Dat-tangled?

Chuck

...unstuck?

Anyway, I don't see this type of thing often either but I
did recently and thought I posted it, but I can't find it.
In my play B1 couldn't get his arm unstuck and A1 either
couldn't or wouldn't let go - I gave them a few seconds then
called a jump ball. As I recall it might have been a girls
game or maybe a subvarsity game, usually the bigger boys
have the strength to pull their arm free. But right now
I'm a little fuzzy on the details...eesh, they're all
starting to blend together already!
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:48am
Official Forum Member

What about calling the ever popular double foul? (Boos and hisses rain down from the stands...) Had this sitch the other night in a boys game, both boys ended up locking elbows with each other, and doing a "swing-your-partner" square-dance-type move in the lane. My partner tagged 'em both.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

....HELD ball, go to the arrow.
In most cases you can sell this and not have to call the foul or let something get ugly by a "no call".

Dude

P.S. If you have a hold on A1 while he/she is holding the ball...you must have a player control foul with no shots.

[Edited by RookieDude on Dec 13th, 2002 at 08:54 AM]
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

How has the flow of the game been

There are many variables that will influence how quickly you will blow the whistle on this play. For example, if the game has been rather uneventful, I hold the whistle. If, however, it has been rough, I am on the tweeter and NOW!

This is something that most officials develop a feel for.....
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Re: How has the flow of the game been

Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
If, however, it has been rough, I am on the tweeter and NOW!
Great point, willie. I was assuming no unusual circumstances in my answer. But your comment should always be borne in mind. Thumbs up.

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: How has the flow of the game been

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by williebfree
If, however, it has been rough, I am on the tweeter and NOW!
Great point, willie. I was assuming no unusual circumstances in my answer. But your comment should always be borne in mind. Thumbs up.

Chuck
borne in mind? hmmm I will bear that in mind, I should bear that in mind, it should be bore in mind?? don't know, i'm asking, it just sounded funny. Who cares anyhow, right.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 11:39am
Official Forum Member

Juulie? Can we get a ruling, please?!?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

I vote guilty!

Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 12:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks