The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 10, 2000, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

Can someone explain offensive goaltending to me?
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 12:55am
Official Forum Member

Clarification, in addition to the downward flight, the ball has to have an opportunity to go in. If the shot is a foot short and it is still above rim height and a player touches the ball it is not goal tending.

[This message has been edited by Bart Tyson (edited April 11, 2000).]
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 01:33am

Send a message via AIM to Bradley Batt
If the ball is on its downward flight towards the goal neither the offense or defense can touch it. If the offense touches it then it is offensive goaltending.

An alley oop is legal when it is a pass not going towards the goal. If the ball was shot towards the hoop and an offensive player caught it and dunked it, it would be goaltending.

Got to admit that I have never seen this one
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Three points to consider for goaltending:
1. Above the basket.
2. On the downward flight.
3. And have a chance to go in.

Bradley you are wrong about offensive goaltending. There is no such animal. Only the defensive cannot touch the ball on a shot.

If the offensive team catches a ball outside the basket but on line to the basket and then slams it, it is a good play.

If the offensive team catches the ball while it is in the cylinder, then it is offensive interference.

Hope this clarifies the rule.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 03:30pm
certified Hot Mom tester

quote:
Originally posted by bsilliman:

Bradley you are wrong about offensive goaltending. There is no such animal. Only the defensive cannot touch the ball on a shot. Hope this clarifies the rule.

b - I don't know what rulebook you use, but my NF book clearly states the penalties for both offensive and defensive goaltending. In the definition of goaltending (4-22) it says "...when a player..." - not a "defensive" player, but a "player".

In the violations and penalties section (9-12) it again uses the same language and specifically outlines the penalties for both offensive and defensive goaltending.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Did anyone see the Knicks vs. Pacers game last night? Larry Johnson shot a 3-pointer from the corner with about 15 seconds left in the game. The ball was gonna go in the basket but Patrick Ewing touched it as it was going into the cylinder. The refs blew the call. The Pacers were furious. They ended up losing by 2 points.

It should have been called offensive goaltending. BSILLIMAN is correct. The 3 points should NOT have counted.

Q: Isn't it also a Technical if a player goaltends during a free throw? I've never seen it happen though.

Old Tue Apr 11, 2000, 06:28pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Correction, BSILLIMAN is incorrect. There is such a thing as offensive goaldtending.

Basket Interference is when the ball is touched while it is "in or on the cylinder".

Goaltending is when the ball is outside the cylinder but has a possibility of going in.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 12:04am
In Memoriam

Question

quote:
Originally posted by Bradley Batt:

An alley oop is legal when it is a pass not going towards the goal. If the ball was shot towards the hoop and an offensive player caught it and dunked it, it would be goaltending.

Got to admit that I have never seen this one [/B]

Brad,
Let's say an adjudged alley oop goes into the hole on a pass from outside the arc. That is then ruled a "2" ,is it not?
mick

Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rehuel
Exclamation

Goaltending is goaltending, defensive or offensive. the only difference is the penalty. Defensive will get the points awarded and if it's something that happens to often the player can get a T for failing to comply with the technicality of the rules.
Offensive will just get the points rejected.

When ever the ball is on it's way to the ring, and it's clear (to the official) that it's will go in, it may not be interfered, by no one.
A good alleyoop is never thrown in the ring, but towards the ring. Still, for the flow of the game, the ref will allow it, even if it's clear it will go in, if it is intercepted for a dunk, but not above the cylinder

[This message has been edited by Rehuel (edited April 12, 2000).]
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 09:30am
Official Forum Member

I am now confused about goaltending. Are you saying that any shot on its way down cannot be touched by the offense? I always thought that was OK as long as it was not in the cylinder. The play that comes to my mind is the NC State championship when Lorenzo Charles tipped in the shot for the win. Ball on the way down, but I think it's a good play. Yes?!?
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Rehuel
quote:
Originally posted by mattbray:
I am now confused about goaltending. Are you saying that any shot on its way down cannot be touched by the offense? I always thought that was OK as long as it was not in the cylinder. The play that comes to my mind is the NC State championship when Lorenzo Charles tipped in the shot for the win. Ball on the way down, but I think it's a good play. Yes?!?

FIBA rules state (no 43) that the poition of the ball above the cylinder is importantif the ball is above the cylinder, no one may touch it, regardless of a pass, shot or touch after jumpball.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by mick:
Brad,
Let's say an adjudged alley oop goes into the hole on a pass from outside the arc. That is then ruled a "2" ,is it not?
mick

Any ball that goes in the hole from outside the arc (except into the opponents basket) would be 3 points, regardless of how it got there. After all, who are we to judge whether someone has a very unorthodox looking shot or whether it was really a pass? (Sorry, I'm not Brad, but I couldn't resist replying).
Old Wed Apr 12, 2000, 07:23pm
Official Forum Member

Mark,
I am at disadvantage because I cannot look up the specific rule since I am far away from home for the summer. If what you say comes from the rulebook then I have to agree with the rule.
However, have you ever called the violation? I sure have not nor will I ever do it.

Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

Nice to see that the board hasn't died down in the post-season!!

I've not known Todd to be wrong, yet..

However...

Todd, you have to agree that technically, a pass from outside the 3-pt arc, by definition, is not a shot and therefore is only 2 points if the pass enters the hoop.

(think about it...would you be signaling a 3pt attempt on the "pass"?)

But like a few other rare occasions, I would agree in not making the "technical" application...give 'em 3 and get on with the game.

"Don't call anything I can't explain"

Old Thu Apr 13, 2000, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Question

Todd- I have never had it happen so I'm a little light on the rule, but, if you put the ball into the wrong hoop, it is still points for the other team. If you are dumb enough to pop a trey, you would still give the other team three points, they just aren't credited to anyone on the team in the scorebook. Am I right or confused?