The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

How often do you guys/gals call the arm wars that go on during free throws? You know, where players in the blocks fight/slap each other with their arms? I assume you warn, but do you ever call it as a violation? What is the signal and how do coaches react (be gentle on the reply to that last question)?
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

I don't call this a violation. If there's swinging and swimming going on after a warning, then I'm calling a foul.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Exclamation Elbows

Girls Varsity game last evening. I called my first elbow swinging violation of the season. I was so excited that I yelled it out in the direction of the coaches and the scorer's table then had to go over to the scorers and explain my mistake ... that this was just a violation like a travel call, and that I didn't need to explicitly tell them about it. They kindly said that I hadn't confused them.

The coach was a bit excited and felt his player was properly pivoting - arms and body moving together. I just shook my head and said "No. White ball."

All in all, this was an extemely ugly game; You all know how we can generally get through a game with 20 to maybe 30 fouls. I'm certain we called more than 50 - we reached double bonus for at least one of the teams in the 1st quarter and again in the 3rd.

Our first player to foul out was about a minute into the 3rd quarter. I think only 4 or 5 players fouled out but that was likely because we passed on twice as many fouls as we called.

We did well in that we avoided any "T" situations - no one got too terribly bent out of shape. There has got to be a better solution than call more fouls. Anyone want to offer up some ideas?
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Unless it impeeds on another players progress or there is a heavy or deliberate contact then i would not call this a violation.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 06:48pm
Official Forum Member

This is a new rule this year... no contact = violation (no longer a technical foul).

If there is contact the penalty is a foul.

Of couse you didn't see what I saw, BUT You would be wrong if you didn't call it. It is a threat of violent contact - it could be interpretted as a form of taunting. "When I get the ball you get the h&ll out of the way or I'm gonna knock you the **** out."

When would you call it? after contact... now a violation? after a broken nose? a broken jaw? an unconscious player? a permanently deformed face?

There is a reason for the rule - player safety, and a violation is a compromise from last year's technical foul penalty. The compromise was made so officials would call it more often, rather than waiting for the severity of the act to justify calling a technical foul.

We need to be on the same page.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 07:42pm
Official Forum Member

Hey DownTown, I think they're talking about the silly arm battles as the teams are along the lane for a FT, not swinging the elbows.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:06pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Hey DownTown, I think they're talking about the silly arm battles as the teams are along the lane for a FT, not swinging the elbows.
Andrew 45 is also from New Zealand.He's obviously not familiar with FED rules.Another reason to cut him some slack.

Welcome to the board,Andrew.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

This appears to be two major themes in one thread

The intitial posting was about the "arm wars" during a FT. An additional observation expanded it to the Elbow swinging call (Violation vs. Technical)...

Arm wars: unless a player is controlling the opponent, I warn on minor contact, call fouls on major infractions.

Elbow swings: I am glad that the new rule exists. I was working a lower level tourney last weekend where a girl felt pressured and attempted to create space with her swinging elbows. There was not a defender in the immediate area, so I felt it very appropriate to address this as a violation. With the old rule I would not have blown the whistle because I would be obliged to issue the "T".

[Edited by williebfree on Dec 12th, 2002 at 10:18 PM]
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 05:08am
Official Forum Member

Arm Wars

According to the rules it is not a violation to have your hand or arms extended into another players marked lane-space. It is only a violation when a foot breaks the plane. Double check 9-1-9. So if you are going to call anything you have to call a foul. Calling this a violation is just plain wrong.
Since this arm extending action is legal (unless the contact is a foul), I also don't warn the players or verbally chastise them.