The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   inbound on endline, not UT vs. UA (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/65444-inbound-endline-not-ut-vs-ua.html)

jophyal Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:17pm

inbound on endline, not UT vs. UA

When you are administering the inbounding of the ball at the endline and becoming new T... do you bounce, toss, or hand ball to player?

Adam Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:18pm

FC or BC endline? I'm assuing BC since you note 'new T.'

If so, I bounce.

26 Year Gap Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:23pm

It depends. Often, if there is a press set up, I will hand the ball to the player. Although, I see the advantages of bouncing. This is something I am working on, as I hand the ball to the player 100% of the time on the FC endline and 75% of the time elsewhere.

jophyal Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:24pm

Backcourt and lets make it interesting and assuming they are pressing full court and it is a tight game...

bob jenkins Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 742958)
When you are administering the inbounding of the ball at the endline and becoming new T... do you bounce, toss, or hand ball to player?

In IL, we (are supposed to) hand the ball.

So, if you're asking "what's the correct way?" (as opposed to just taking a poll to see what everyone does), you'll have to ask your state / local mechanics authority.

Adam Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 742964)
Backcourt and lets make it interesting and assuming they are pressing full court and it is a tight game...

If I'm not on the FC endline, I'm bouncing probably 90% of the time. A press doesn't really change that for me, as I'm going to want a wider angle anyway.

jophyal Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:35pm

Thanks Bob, just taking a poll... In TX we are instructed to hand the ball but I agree that bouncing opens me up to a better view, especially two man mechanics.

bainsey Wed Mar 23, 2011 02:49pm

If it's FC, I hand (never toss). If it's BC, I usually bounce, though handing is an option.

Raymond Wed Mar 23, 2011 04:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 742958)

I bounce. Press or not. I will get close to tell player whether it's a designated or non-designated spot throw-in then then step away before I bounce the ball.

Welpe Wed Mar 23, 2011 04:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 742972)
Thanks Bob, just taking a poll... In TX we are instructed to hand the ball but I agree that bouncing opens me up to a better view, especially two man mechanics.

Where is this and by whom? We have been instructed to hand only for a FC end line throw in and bounce all other times.

Camron Rust Wed Mar 23, 2011 04:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 743015)
I bounce. Press or not. I will get close to tell player whether it's a designated or non-designated spot throw-in then then step away before I bounce the ball.

Same.

BktBallRef Wed Mar 23, 2011 07:56pm

We're instructed to hand the ball to the thrower on the endline in the FC and when there's pressure anywhere.

Why? I do not know. Does anyone else have a reason for handing the ball to the thrower, other than being instructed to?

zebraman Wed Mar 23, 2011 08:47pm

Like many other, I always hand on the endline in FC and always bounce on sidelines or the endline in BC

I want the wider vision every chance I get.

Zeb

Nevadaref Thu Mar 24, 2011 02:01am

On a designated spot throw-in, I'll hand the thrower the ball.

When it is following a goal and the privilege of running the end line is allowed, I'll bounce it to him so as to be out of his way.

JRutledge Thu Mar 24, 2011 02:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by jophyal (Post 742972)

We hand the ball because officials try to get ahead of the play when they bounce (2 or 3 Person).

Peace