The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

I tried to find the answer to question one and couldn't. I had an inadvertant whistle and then told partner, coaches and table that we'd go with alternate possession. Right call? Where is it in the book, I couldn't find it.

Second question which I'm sure has been answered here 1,000 times. If team A controls the ball in front court and team B tips it without gaining possession and then ball goes directly into team A's back court where team A recovers, is that backcourt? I'm confused on this rule. Thanks

Todd
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LepTalBldgs
I tried to find the answer to question one and couldn't. I had an inadvertant whistle and then told partner, coaches and table that we'd go with alternate possession. Right call? Where is it in the book, I couldn't find it.
That depends. Where was the ball when you blew the whistle?

Quote:
If team A controls the ball in front court and team B tips it without gaining possession and then ball goes directly into team A's back court where team A recovers, is that backcourt? I'm confused on this rule.
Only if Team A touches the ball before it goes into the BC.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

If a player from one team had control of ball at time of inadvertent whistle, ball goes to team in control. If no team in control of ball at time of whistle, go to the arrow. And I would use some judgment on this. If team A is inbounding in backcourt with no pressure, A1 passes to A2 who catches easily and whistle blew with ball in air, ball goes to A and redo the inbounds. If there is any doubt about control, go to the arrow.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 04:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
HawksCoach said it best. If team control exists when an inadvertant whistle happens, ball to team in control. If there is no team control, then go to arrow. As is always the case, judgement plays a very important role in this, and all, calls in basketball.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
If team A is inbounding in backcourt with no pressure, A1 passes to A2 who catches easily and whistle blew with ball in air, ball goes to A and redo the inbounds.
Yes, but this is because the POI is the throw-in. If we interrupt during a throw-in, we continue the throw-in (or have it again) when we return. This is not really a team control issue as much as it is about continuing the game from where we left off. Remember the throw-in does not end until the ball is touched inbounds or the throwing team violates.
Any coach will buy this explanation.