The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
marty points out something that he assumes happened, while I assumed the opposite. I assumed an empty first space, in which case, my answer stands. If the space was occupied by the offense, then Marty is correct. We both should have requested more info before answering - but I saw no mention of the offense being in the first space.
Hawk: I guess I figured there was a player in the other lane space, otherwise it would have been REALLY obvious that it was unoccupied. You were right, sorry.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AK ref SE
Scott-
What if neither team is BLUE?

AK ref SE
DOH! I hope there was an implied smilie in there.

If not, this was an example for a foul on blue, where the home team is shooting and its the last shot of a 2 shot foul.

How's that?
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Tisk tisk tisk

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Camron what was your partner doing bringing subs in on the first freethrow of a two shot foul?

Was either team Blue?
Actualy, I stated the situation wrong---brain freeze. He didn't bring them in before #1. The horn had blown for subs, he told them to wait. I think that is where the confusion occured. The player that was in the blocks moved thinking the expected incoming sub was going to take the spot. I didn't catch that he changed places and left the low block empty.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 02:43am
Official Forum Member

Does anyone else see this as a possible team technical foul?

10-1-5b Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play.

9.1.2 ....In this case, the trail official uses the resuming-play procedure even though the first spaces are not occupied, whereas in other cases, the spaces would have to be properly occupied before the official would proceed with the free throw administration.

From these two citations it appears that the defensive team is delaying the game since the official is required by rule not to administer the free throw until the bottom spaces are properly occupied. I do not believe that the game should be held up for a team that does not promptly come and fill these spaces. Just as we T the free throw shooter who is not in the semi-circle under 10-3-7c.

I will end this by saying that this interpretation is quite harsh (Remember that I wrote "possible team technical" above, not automatic.) and that I would not call it unless I was standing in the lane with the ball with a free throw shooter waiting for me to administer and the defensive team was elsewhere ignoring us. (For example, huddling at their bench.) However, I do believe that the T is justified by the rules.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Dec 12th, 2002 at 01:45 AM]
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Does anyone else see this as a possible team technical foul?

10-1-5b Delay the game by preventing the ball from being made promptly live or from being put in play.

If the official told B to occupy the lower two spaces, and B refused, then it's a delay T on B (assuming the resuming of play procedure is not ine effect).

If the official (as in the case in this thread) just did not notice B was not in the space, then it's just a violation on B. Treat it the same as if B was in the space, but left it early.