The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

at most middle school games you get students on the table. at this game there was a student who was being instructed by a supervisor/teacher because it was her first time. the supervisor told my partner and myself the he would keep an eye on her and the game and keep things at the table under control. game starts and the first half goes great. half way thru the 3rd, im in the lead, make a call under the basket on a shot, blow the whistle with the call, jog over to the reporting area, look at the table and say " WHITE, 22, 2, 2, WHITE, PUSH, 2SHOTS, and as i come to focus with the table, the young girl on the home team book was on her cell phone looking in the other direction, not even watching the game. i signal my partner to hold the game and walk over to the table, and in a low voice to grab her attention i say to her,"who are you talking to." she replies " MY GIRL FRIEND." i say "i thought you were talking to sports channel on the game." she give me a look like why are you interrupting my call. now i have the attention of the coaches and crowd behind the table and we all had a great laugh over the situation at hand. now the question to all the board interpretures, DO I INTERRUPT THE PHONE CALL TO REPORT THE FOUL OR DO I WAIT FOR HER TO FINISH HER CALL. I TRIED TO FIND THE SITUATION IN THE CASE BOOK AND IT WAS NOT THERE. HA HA HA .TRUE STORY.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

You're kidding right?

You find the idiot who appointed her as scorer and you make him/her keep the book.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Good luck on finding Game Mgmt

I did a MS game this evening, the closest thing I had to game management was.... the home team coach. Thankfully, my scorer and timer were a retired couple, so that was element was not a concern.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I'll stop the game......... which usually mbarrasses them enough to straighten up.

However, I've been known to request a replacement scorer also.

Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by scat03
jog over to the reporting area, look at the table and say " WHITE, 22, 2, 2, WHITE, PUSH, 2SHOTS,
Ok, this doesn't have anything to do with the point of your story, but you should try to clean up your report to the table. Don't give the number twice, the scorer might be confused, or the color twice. Don't verbalize the type of foul committed. Just give the signal. Your report should be as follows (once the scorer is off the phone ):

"White, 22, [push signal], 2 shots."

That's all you need. Likewise, when you walk into the lane to administer FTs, all you need to say is "TWO!" You don't need to tell them "2 shots" (they know they're shots; that's why they're lined up), you don't need to tell them to relax on the first, or to wait till it hits on the second. Short and sweet.

Just throwin' it out there.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
jog over to the reporting area, look at the table and say " WHITE, 22, 2, 2, WHITE, PUSH, 2SHOTS,
Ok, this doesn't have anything to do with the point of your story, but you should try to clean up your report to the table. Don't give the number twice, the scorer might be confused, or the color twice. Don't verbalize the type of foul committed. Just give the signal. Your report should be as follows (once the scorer is off the phone ):

That's all you need. Likewise, when you walk into the lane to administer FTs, all you need to say is "TWO!" You don't need to tell them "2 shots" (they know they're shots; that's why they're lined up), you don't need to tell them to relax on the first, or to wait till it hits on the second. Short and sweet.

Just throwin' it out there.

Chuck
Mr. Elias,

I agree with your thoughts on reporting to the table, however, I explain more while administering freethrows for lower leval games. Just my stab at preventative officiating.

Thanks, Stan
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Stan
I explain more while administering freethrows for lower leval games. Just my stab at preventative officiating.
That's understandable, Stan. The only problem I see with it is that it may become a habit that you will carry with you to your HS games, where it will be annoying or a distraction. Helping out the kids at the younger ages is fine.

BTW, you don't have to call me Mr. Elias, jeez!! The name is. . .

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
I explain more while administering freethrows for lower leval games. Just my stab at preventative officiating.
The only problem I see with it is that it may become a habit that you will carry with you to your HS games, where it will be annoying or a distraction.

Chuck
Mr. Chuck Elias,

Thanks for the advice. Stan

Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Grrrrrrrr!! Knock it off, you

P.S. -- some of those angry smileys are really angry, aren't they!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Yes, sir Mr. Elias, they are!

Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Mr. Chuck Elias,
Yet another very funny SNL moment occured when Tom Hanks made his 5th appearance as host. In the middle of his monologue, he's interrupted and taken to a special lounge: the "Five Timer's Club", or something like that. It's a special retreat for anyone who has hosted 5 or more times. Paul Simon's in there, Elliot Gould. Tom is being introduced to everybody, when he spies Steve Martin in the corner. He walks over, extends his hand, and says, "Wow, Steve Martin! What an honor to meet you!"

To which, Steve replies, "Oh, please. You can call me Mr. Steve Martin."

Cracks me up to this day.

Chuck
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 12:54pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Quote:

Chuck
Absolutely correct. And...never say "two two". It's always "twenty-two". If you report the number one digit at a time, the chances of the scorer crediting (debiting?) the wrong player with the foul increases greatly.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I worked a middle school game last season with an older woman keeping the clock. I asked her befor the game if she had ever done that before and she assured me that she had. Well, jump ball to start the game, ball goes downcourt, shot on basket (2 points) and change of possession. As we start back up the court, I (at trail) notice that the clock has not moved. Whistle! I went to the table and told the woman that "I need a little help from you because at this rate the game will take a month." Lots of laughter from the crowd and the benches, but the rest of the game we had no timing problems.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 02:05am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Last year, I was working a rec middle school tournament with teams from all over the west coast, including British Columbia. We used volunteer parents as scorers. One woman came up to the table to work the clock and asked for instructions. I told her that since one of the teams was from Canada, we were using international rules. She asked what that meant. I told her she had to keep the score in metric. Again, she asked what that meant. I told her that every time a team scored a point, she had to credit them with 1.67 points, then asked her if she brought a calculator.

She gave me that "deer caught in headlights" stare and finally said, "I think I'll go get my husband."

My partner and I started laughing and told her we were only kidding. She said, "OH! Thank G-d."
Old Fri Dec 13, 2002, 05:57pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Padgett
My partner and I started laughing and told her we were only kidding. She said, "OH! Thank G-d."
Who is G-d?

You meant God, right?