The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 26, 2000, 09:41pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

For those of you thinking that it is not your job as a ref to know the amount of players on the floor, I beg to differ. If you have any thoughts of getting to the next level(college) it is your job. I attended a D1 camp this past summer, and this happened in a game. Both D1 assignors that were at the camp let the 3 refs know that they blew it big time, and that this should never happen.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2000, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Coach, Try to look at it from an officials point of view. Like you, We have pride, duties, and responsibilities in a game. We also want to ref a good game, the same as you want to coach a good game. We have a duty to count the players during subs. When we screw-up, then we didn't do a good job. It hurts our pride and there ARE consequences as Dennis pointed out. Even at a younger level game. Sometimes, we may not even know it cost us an oppertunity.
Old Thu Apr 27, 2000, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all of the insight. For the record, I took responsibility for the error, informed the players that it was my technical (because I need to take positive steps to make sure this doesn't occur) and will from now on designate one of my subs to ensure that everyone who is out of the game gets off the floor. This is a preventive action, but still does not offer a guarantee that my players will leave the floor. As a coach, I can do nothing but yell my loudest to the nearest referee and to a player who doesn't get off the floor. I am the one person who cannot take any personal action to stop whatever occurs from occurring after my subs are on the floor. Then its up to players and officials to get it right.

BTW, more than five is a team technical. Is that an indirect to the coach?
Old Thu Apr 27, 2000, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Yes
Old Thu Apr 27, 2000, 02:13pm
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach:
... and will from now on designate one of my subs to ensure that everyone who is out of the game gets off the floor. This is a preventive action, but still does not offer a guarantee that my players will leave the floor. As a coach, I can do nothing but yell my loudest to the nearest referee and to a player who doesn't get off the floor.

Coach, may I suggest (as I have seen suggested previously) that you require each entering sub to carry some object in with them that they are to hand to the player who is coming out (maybe a towel). That way the player who is holding something knows that they either shouldn't be there or that the player they are replacing is still there.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach:
BTW, more than five is a team technical. Is that an indirect to the coach?

No. You are correct that it is a team technical, therefore it is NOT assessed indirectly to the coach. That would be only on a BENCH technical (see Rule 10-1 vs. 10-4).
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I stand corrected AGAIN by the man. I was only thinking as opposed to a direct T.
Old Fri Apr 28, 2000, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Bart, it is extremely cumbersome and it works great in theory but not in practice, especially with wholesale substitutions. Try as I may, and our board stresses this, as do my supervisors, it is very tough to keep track of all numbers leaving.