Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChrisGolfJazz
Smile

Hey,

I'm 14 years old and I'm new to reffing basketball. I've been to two ref clinics. I'm going to start in about a month with 3-5th grade games. I was wondering if anyone had a website I can go to to get some info on some key things I need to know like the different signs, fouls , definitions, and techniques. I've been playing basketball for about 4 years so it not like I'm new to basketball or anything. Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 09:53pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGolfJazz
Hey,

I'm 14 years old and I'm new to reffing basketball. I've been to two ref clinics. I'm going to start in about a month with 3-5th grade games. I was wondering if anyone had a website I can go to to get some info on some key things I need to know like the different signs, fouls , definitions, and techniques. I've been playing basketball for about 4 years so it not like I'm new to basketball or anything. Your help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Chris
Chris,
Call those guys that taught you in the clinics and I am sure they'll have some information for you.
mick

Welcome to this forum!
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 03:21pm
Official Forum Member

Question This might work

Hey chris, I started officiating basketball at the age of 13 for a youth league. It was 3 and 4th graders but it still taught me a lot of things. I now do high school b-ball and im only 17 years old. I think that the http://www.nsaahome.org has some signals. You will have to click on the Basketball link then click on the officials link. This is from Nebraska and i happen to live in Nebraska this is our website and i believe that we have signs on it. I might be wron but thats the only web site i cant think of at the top of my head. I hope i was some help, have fun, good luck in your games. Remember take it easy on them they are still learning and dont know a lot so dont call everything instead teach them about it!!!
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

First off try this link, http://www.nfhs.org/PDF/Basketball/BBsignals.pdf for your signals.

I take it that a local group such as a rec league or a CYO league runs the clinics you attended? As Mick said, talk to them. They should have provided you with a copy of the NFHS “Rules Book.” Even more than that a copy of the “Simplified and Illustrated” book which has the basic rules and drawings of how they are applied. This is the one book we give all of our starting officials in the rec league I help run. It will serve you well until you want to move up into high school scholastic leagues where you need to be certified.

As for as boards to read, I know of none that handle only your level of refereeing. Try a Google search for some. This board can be of great help as there are some very smart people here. Hang around and read “ALL” of a thread that interest you. You will see that there are several ways at looking at situations but there is only one way at looking at a rule. Some of what is said may be above your level, we have some WNBA refs here, but it is all good info. If you want to ask a question be sure you preface it by saying that you are 14 and doing rec games so we know how to look at it.

Some last things, if you keep at refing you can make some good easy money. I started my now 19 year old refereeing at 12. I deposited every penny he made in a savings account for him and by the time he went off to college he had several thousand of dollars in it . He now does college intramural games for a little extra money. His studies come first, as should yours, so he is not going to become a certified ref until after college. Next DO NOT let the coaches or the fans get to you. You are not out there out make friends. Stick to your calls. Remember these words after you make a call, “Coach that is how I saw it.”

Have fun!!!!!

[Edited by RecRef on Dec 11th, 2002 at 11:13 AM]
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

I started reffing when I was 11 (that was soccer -- didn't do BBall until I was 13 or 14). Your age is going to make some coaches assume you don't know what you're doing -- show them that you do. Learn the signals and give them sharply -- appearance helps a lot in looking like you know what you're doing. And read the rule book. And read it again. And again. When you play you learn a lot of rules, but you learn a lot of them WRONG. If you read this site regularly, you'll learn a lot of the rules that most people don't understand, and have a good place to ask questions. Good luck and, most importantly, have fun.
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChrisGolfJazz
Smile Thanks

I called the poeple running the clinics and they're sending me a rule book. Thanks for your help.

Chris
Old Wed Dec 11, 2002, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Glad to hear

With that rulebook in your hand, you are a cut above most coaches!

Stay active in this forum and you will go places... (hee hee hee)