The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 07:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
A1 goes to the floor for a loose ball. Before A1 is tied up for a held ball, she moves her feet but does not roll over or anything. In other words, she stays staionary on the floor except for her feet, is that a travel?

By the way, it didn't matter because A1 called a to before she was tied up! (bailed out)
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Not a travel. Player did not get up, or gain an advantage by rolling over or "scooting" along the floor. Player cannot get up from floor unless he starts a dribble first.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 10:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dsturdy5
Thanks. I knew the rule about not getting up but I had about 15 people (several coaches of other teams not involved as we were at a tournament) telling me after the game that it was a travel. Thanks for the info.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 10:45pm
Official Forum Member

DSTURDY5

During my 1st yr of officiating basketball I found myself listening to everyone and their opinions of what the rule is/was... I ultimately found out that rarely did a fan have a clue what the actual rule was, some coaches/players had a vague understanding and most officials knew the rules.

Please note I said most officials. There are some officials that have not opened the rulebook since "Gee, I don't remember when..."

Bottom Line: Keep your nose in your rulebook and look for clarification here. It is the best way to learn/improve. I learn something about officiating just about everytime I read through the threads here.

Keep at it!
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 05:24am
Official Forum Member

Truly, this is not well explained in the case book. As you have said it is explicitly stated that a player with the ball on the floor may not get up or attempt to get up. However, the traveling rule is based on foot movement. No where does it say that this rule is not in effect for a player who is on the floor. It is likely that the restriction about not getting up is intended to be in addition to the normal traveling rule, not to replace it. I believe that if you go strictly by the book, your play would be a travel if the player moves his feet in any way other than is allowed by this rule. Of course, 99.9% of officials are not going to make this call. So it is probably only important for a written exam.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jeremy Hohn Send a message via Yahoo to Jeremy Hohn
I guess I would have to say did the player establish a pivot foot from the floor? Traveling has quite a bit to do with the pivot and I don't see her establosihing one clearly in this situation. NO CALL.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Truly, this is not well explained in the case book. As you have said it is explicitly stated that a player with the ball on the floor may not get up or attempt to get up. However, the traveling rule is based on foot movement. No where does it say that this rule is not in effect for a player who is on the floor. It is likely that the restriction about not getting up is intended to be in addition to the normal traveling rule, not to replace it. I believe that if you go strictly by the book, your play would be a travel if the player moves his feet in any way other than is allowed by this rule. Of course, 99.9% of officials are not going to make this call. So it is probably only important for a written exam.
Pivot foot restrictions do not apply to a player who is sitting, kneeling, or lying on the floor. The rule biook simply says he can't attempt to get up.

4-43-5
A player holding the ball:
After gaining possession while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Cool

Some people believe that when a player goes after a loose ball and in the process "SLIDES" on the stomach; that the sliding is traveling....but it isn't....once A1, on his/her stomach, has gained control of the ball....he/she can only start a dribble, shoot OR make a pass....once he/she turns over = a travel violation; if on the back...he/she can sit up...NO VIOLATION....casebook 4.43.5 Sit. B
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JO
Some people believe that when a player goes after a loose ball and in the process "SLIDES" on the stomach; that the sliding is traveling....but it isn't....once A1, on his/her stomach, has gained control of the ball....he/she can only start a dribble, shoot OR make a pass....
...or request timeout.

BTW, nobody here believes that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 09:34pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
Quote:
Originally posted by JO
Some people believe that when a player goes after a loose ball and in the process "SLIDES" on the stomach; that the sliding is traveling....but it isn't....once A1, on his/her stomach, has gained control of the ball....he/she can only start a dribble, shoot OR make a pass....
...or request timeout.

BTW, nobody here believes that.
..Or just hold the ball.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
No where does it say that this rule is not in effect for a player who is on the floor. It is likely that the restriction about not getting up is intended to be in addition to the normal traveling rule, not to replace it.
Pivot foot restrictions do not apply to a player who is sitting, kneeling, or lying on the floor. The rule biook simply says he can't attempt to get up.

[/B]
BktBallRef,
I politely and respectfully disagree. Please re-read my two sentences above and ponder my point for a moment. Every other rule of basketball is still in effect when a player has the ball on the floor. Why should the pivot foot restrictions not be?
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 10:32am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Quote:

[/B]
BktBallRef,
I politely and respectfully disagree. Please re-read my two sentences above and ponder my point for a moment. Every other rule of basketball is still in effect when a player has the ball on the floor. Why should the pivot foot restrictions not be?
[/B][/QUOTE]Nevada,you can't apply pivot foot restrictions to someone who hasn't established a pivot foot in the first place.That's why the rule is written this way--to cover special cases.

P.S.- "I politely and respectfully disagree"?? I like that! Can I use it? Has a little bit more flair than "wrong,a$$hole".
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Hohn
I guess I would have to say did the player establish a pivot foot from the floor? Traveling has quite a bit to do with the pivot and I don't see her establishing one clearly in this situation. NO CALL.
JR,
With this quote I agree. I thought 4-43-5b was put in to tell us that it is still a travel if a player gets up even without moving an established pivot foot. Say the player is on one knee and then stands without moving the other foot. That is the special case that is covered.
Perhaps there was too much trouble with officials judging what was the pivot foot in the case of a player on the floor, so the rules committee just removed the judgement element and made it a travel in all cases where the players gets up.
Much like the evolution of disallowing a made basket on a PC foul.
I hear back in the day, even HS officials had to judge whether the shot was away before or after the foul and then either count or not count the basket. Some vets have told me that they feel the rule was changed to make it easier for the officials because too many of them were screwing this up.
As a vet, what are your thoughts on this?
Politely and Respectfully as always!

Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Quote:
[/B]
Perhaps there was too much trouble with officials judging what was the pivot foot in the case of a player on the floor, so the rules committee just removed the judgement element and made it a travel in all cases where the players gets up.
Much like the evolution of disallowing a made basket on a PC foul.
I hear back in the day, even HS officials had to judge whether the shot was away before or after the foul and then either count or not count the basket. Some vets have told me that they feel the rule was changed to make it easier for the officials because too many of them were screwing this up.
As a vet, what are your thoughts on this?
Politely and Respectfully as always!

[/B][/QUOTE]1)Re:the pivot foot on a player laying down--I think that you're right on this.Trying to judge when and if a pivot foot is established,and then whether it was moved,was leaving way too much judgement in the play for different officials to call.Harder than heck() to call,and no guarantee of uniformity if it was called.
2)Yes,the high school rule used to be basically the same way as the NCAA men's rule is now(NCAA women's rule is the same as the present NFHS rule for airborne shooters).One of the reasons that the FED changed to the present rule was to take out the element of judgement.Too many officials were always counting the basket if it went,and then charging the shooter with a common foul(not PC)-no matter when the ball was shot or the foul occured.These officials figured that,if they called it this way,each team got something and neither coach would b*tch at them too much.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2002, 02:59pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee

P.S.- "I politely and respectfully disagree"?? I like that! Can I use it?
Yes, you are able.