The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

NFHS Part 1 test. I believe this was question 87 but not sure. Not the exact wording but this was the gist of the question. "Any player may request a time out when his team is in control or during an interrupted dribble." I know a time out may not be GRANTED during an interrupted dribble, but I think a player may REQUEST a time out at any time. Obviously there are rules governing when it may be granted.
Are those sly dogs at NFHS trying to make this a trick question?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

poor choice of words

We discussed this in my group after taking part I. We decided that the intent of the question was to test your knowledge of when a time-out request may be granted. The test writers simply chose their words poorly on this one. They should have written: "Any player may be granted a time-out request when....."
BTW the actual wording on the exam was:
87. Any player may request a time-out when the ball is in the control of a teammate or during an interrupted dribble.
And the NFHS answer was false.
Heck a guy in fourth row may request a time-out, I just won't grant it!
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Not only was it a poor choice of words but the word "may" has two different meanings, I think.

1)physically able to do it - which he certainly is able to do by saying the words.

2)approriate time to do it -not when there is an interrupted dribble. This is the examiners intent. Think they should find a different word or qualify may.

Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Don't read more into it than there is. The key is "interrupted dribble" and the answer is false.