The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 11:46am
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
They haven't in the past. I believe the reasoning was that not every venue was set up for it. Doesn't make sense to me. As much money that is put into the tournament I don't think it would take that much for the NCAA to equip every venue with a PTS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
As I understand the PTS system, a lot of those venues don't want it because - once installed - they pretty much have to use it for everything.
The reason they don't use it (or haven't in the past) is because the NCAA didn't pay for it. Each conference pays a fee to basically rent the equipment every year (or however long the contract is). All the venues can use the system, but ya gotta pay to use it.
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 12:55pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Exclamation

I asked a local college official what they're really used for and he said it's to send score updates to Tim Donaghy!
Old Mon Mar 14, 2011, 06:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
As I understand the PTS system, a lot of those venues don't want it because - once installed - they pretty much have to use it for everything.
Nah, it's a console that plugs in to the scoreboard console. You can connect/disconnect it anytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
The reason they don't use it (or haven't in the past) is because the NCAA didn't pay for it. Each conference pays a fee to basically rent the equipment every year (or however long the contract is). All the venues can use the system, but ya gotta pay to use it.

Not sure where you heard that but it makes no sense. We have almost 100 HS in NC that have purchased. They don't "rent" it each season. But they do have to buy the batteries from PTS. Because of that expense, a lot of schools have stopped using it.

The cost to purchase is between $2000 and $3000. The NBA uses a more advance system that records which official stops/starts the clock each time.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith