The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to stewcall
Smile

OK Let me start and say I've been waiting for this for 10 months
Here I am a 47 year of Rookie! Having completed my 10 weeks in class- been through 3 scrimages and scored a 93 on Part 1 (will be taking part II on Monday- since it was a practice test for us)
Let me say I'm excited. I know I gotta relax- but so far I have had a blast!
My first game will be a JV girls game 12/14. Funny think I coached all most all these girls while they were playing in local leagues.
One practical question (which I will ask my big brother Sunday night)- do I call the designated Referee or have her call me- I plan to call two days before the event if I do not here anything.
thanks
Stew
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Stew,

Welcome to the board and welcome to the "fraternity." Here's to having as much fun as the rest of us have.

As far as your question as to calling vs. not calling, it never hurts to call your partner. It's always best to coordinate what time you'll be arriving, where to park, the possibility of riding together, etc.

One question I have...Where are you located that you have a 10 week class to go through? Just wondering.
a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
Arnold Palmer
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Hey Stew, welcome to the board, congratulations, and best of luck with your game. In response to your question, the policy where I live is that the R calls the rest of the crew. However, if you don't hear from her, then by all means, call and say "Are we still on?"

Have a GREAT game!

Chuck
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

It never hurts to call!

AK ref SE
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 06:07pm
Official Forum Member

my first game- where am I

Central Virginia (Richmond, VA)
30 hours of course work (5 -7 of those hours on the court with a HS team)
Pass part 1- then take part 2 Dec 9
Rookie first year -evaluations each game
Provisional 2nd year- evalustions every year
"Big brother" 2 years- call every Sunday for help, review etc.
Stew
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

thanks all

Let me say everywhere I have gone- both to observe and the call a scrimage I have felt very welcomed!
This Board is no exception- thanks for the welcome everyone!
Here's to a great season
Stew
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Re: my first game- where am I

Quote:
Originally posted by stewcall
Central Virginia (Richmond, VA)
30 hours of course work (5 -7 of those hours on the court with a HS team)
Pass part 1- then take part 2 Dec 9
Rookie first year -evaluations each game
Provisional 2nd year- evalustions every year
"Big brother" 2 years- call every Sunday for help, review etc.
Stew
Welcome aboard from a "fellow Virginian" -- Cardinal Basketball Officials Association -- Northern VA. I remember my first game and how excited I was. Still excited after 8 years. BTW, I always call my partner(s), whether I am the Referee or the Umpire (1 or 2). Just makes me feel better.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2002, 11:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
I am an IAABO member on Long Island. When we sign up the course is 11 weeks (2 hours/week). We then take the written exam where 86% is a passing score. Those who pass the written test get to take the floor test, usually a few weeks afterwards. During the floor test they usually get 2 JV teams to play and the candidate pairs each get to work a quarter. The officials who grade the floor test aren't really looking for judgement in calls, but rather in the mechanics of signalling a violation or foul, reporting fouls to the table, and having a basic knowledge of positioning while on the court. Hustle is taken into account also. The candidates who pass the floor test then become IAABO members and are eligible to be scheduled to start working games the following season, most often at the middle school level. During that 1st year they are generally partnered with experienced officials who can give them on-the-job tips in order to help them improve.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 02:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
As a rule. If you are designated the R. Call your partner three days in advance. If you are the U. If you haven't heard from him 24 hours in advance. Call. This may be a local thing. Check with your association on guidlines.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

Our local association "policy" is everyone is responsible to call their co official. Doesn't matter who's the R, etc.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

10 Week Course

Welcome to the group! We have a very similar 10 week course. Three and a half hours once a week, half in class half on court. This is followed by the written test and then a floor evaluation. You then get to spend two years as a JV official getting rated each game before testing and upgrading to Provisional Varsity. As a PV you spend two more seasons getting ratings by Varsity Raters in order to become a Varsity Official. I've being doing this for 16 years and got elected as co-chairperson for our organization this past spring. It's been a ball and I'm sure you will love it. Regarding calling your partner, definitely make the call. Some groups use the Z calls A or A calls Z philosophy. We tell our officials to call each other at least two days before a contest. You'll be surprised how many times a call helps as a reminder if not for the date but for a time, especially if there has been a time change or a reschedule of the contest. Good luck.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to fletch_irwin_m
DBL and STEW
Cheers for the Commonwealth. COA here. Do either of you call in Charlottesville? I just had a quesiton if you did. My wife's team played in a "Jamboree" at Alberbarle over the weekend. They had two man crews working the games. I know down here we have 3 man crews on all varsity games. Just curious.
Old Tue Dec 10, 2002, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

CVBOA

I'm in the Central Virginia. I'll let folks know how my first game goes on saturday
Stew