The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 01:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This is the third time in a week I've had this guy for a partner, and I hope it's the last. Howard, are you listening? I've done my duty!! Now, I'm not writing this to tattle, just to vent a little. I know you know this guy's problems, I just want my homies here to feel a little sorry for me. So, Howard, don't read the rest!

I got caught behind an accident on the freeway, but managed to arrive just at game time. This guy had been busy marking the coaching boxes in all three gyms, and hadn't checked the book, hadn't done the captains conference, hadn't done anything. When he saw me walk in, he muttered something about the white coach wanted something or other, and he (partner) needed to find his jacket. He then promptly disappeared! AD looks aghast, and asks me to start alone, which I did. The game was awful -- 35 fouls in the first half... which took over an hour since my partner was busy lecturing everyone in sight on everything they did. Including very long lectures to each coach at half-time about how their teams could play better defense. He called his usual 7 phantom lane violations, and a couple of other violations which I'm not even sure what they were. Called an intentional, and then took the ball at half-court. He later told me that he did that because he had changed it to a technical. He did that after the shots, before the inbounds. Halfway through the third quarter, he was screaming at the table about something. Partner thought the "official" book person wasn't keeping track of fouls. Well, they were actuallly, but not correctly, but partner hadn't talked to the table people before the game, so ... And then he wanted to go back through the game, and try to reconstruct!!!

And after all that, he came busting into my second game, to report to me that the visiting Varsity team had just arrived!! Why he thought I needed to know that, I have no idea.

Okay, I feel better now. The season can only get better from here!
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 02:27am
certified Hot Mom tester

Juulie - I'm sure you'll fill me in on all the juicy details when I see you on Saturday at Fowler for the rec Jamboree. When this guy decided the intentional was really a technical, did he make sure the book reflected that? By the way you describe how he called the game, it could have been significant down the road.

BTW - I'll try to move the schedule around so we have some games together that day. In any event, I guarantee you won't have anything close to the same experience with my guys.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 05:08am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
I got caught behind an accident on the freeway, but managed to arrive just at game time.
There's a lot of that going around,Juulie. I think I now know who your "partner from hell" was! Sure sounds familiar. He took a wrong turn in New Jersey,and ended up out there. I'm not surprised!

Another time to follow mick's SOP--get in,do it,get out!
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
I got caught behind an accident on the freeway, but managed to arrive just at game time.
There's a lot of that going around,Juulie. I think I now know who your "partner from hell" was! Sure sounds familiar. He took a wrong turn in New Jersey,and ended up out there. I'm not surprised!

Sometimes you think you'll do this

But you can't always predict things like this

In any event, maybe it's time you cut down on

Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

some people have too much time on their hands...
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

OK,

So I shouldn't call Mr. Mayo and direct him to this site?

Just kidding!
Old Fri Dec 06, 2002, 01:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Just kidding!
He already reads it. Not sure how regularly, but he has commented to me about certain posts he has read here...usually when someone says something really goofy.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2002, 01:31am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: OK,

Quote:
Originally posted by Camron Rust
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C

Just kidding!
He already reads it. Not sure how regularly, but he has commented to me about certain posts he has read here...usually when someone says something really goofy.
He's commented to me several times about things I said. It's really put a crimp in my style!!

Actually, I wasn't going to tattle, and I was just hoping Howard would see it and take the info informally. But, today, I'm thinking about taking stronger action. I really was embarrassed to face that AD for the second game, because of how horribly the first game was handled. Several people who were involved in that first game tried to get complaints out of me, but I was religious about not criticizing my partner. I did let the AD know that he would certainly benefit from talking to Howard. But what if he doesn't call? I kind of think someone needs to tell. I mean, it wasn't just a bad job, it was a bad reflection on the position of referee in general.
Old Thu Dec 12, 2002, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: OK,

Quote:
He's commented to me several times about things I said. It's really put a crimp in my style!!
Yeah.

If my boss/assignor finds this website, I might have to go through and delete some archived posts.