The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
Smile

Ok, folks. The moment everyone on this board has been waiting for. I called my first varsity game of the season last night. No I did not call a multiple foul. The opportunity did arise in the first period but since I did not pregame it with the coachs, I went with the standard pick one and go on. I know, I know, everyone here is disappointed. The team I would have had to call it against was one of those teams that everyone wants to do well with. It was a perenially ranked team that has been ranked nationally with a coach who has been there for twenty years. It was my first game with him actually coaching. He has been there when I called Junior High games. So playing it by the book was the safe thing. Maybe next time. It was bad enough that this 5a school almost lost to a 3a school.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to BigDave
Tim, you sure do appear very concerned about the "status" of this particular coach. So much, that it may have dictated your philosophy for this game. How long a coach has been at a school, the level of ball he coaches, the credibilty he has with the game, etc. is not our concern. We are there to insure a fair contest.

I hope I am reading this wrong, but it appears to me that you may have been more concerned with him than the game itself.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 01:04am
We don't rent pigs

Seems to me you deliberately misled everybody with the title of this thread. But, that's okay, you missed your chance for history. If you had actually made the call, you probably could have been a footnote in next year's case book.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
but since I did not pregame it with the coachs,
??????????
WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!?!?
Are you so obsessed with this coach that you include him in your pregame? Or do you mean your introduction, "Hi, coach. We will be watching handchecking and MULTIPLE FOULS tonight."
As others have already written, you need to stop this hero worship and re-examine your focus for the game.

Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
For those of you who came in late, I had made the statment that I would call a multiple foul in my first varsity game of the season in the first four minutes of the game. IF I wanted to do it, I would need to tell the coaches that I was going to do it as part of a bet so they wouldn't be on my case about an unusual call. In Texas, the howler monkey's have a lot of say in who calls their games. If I want to keep a good schedule, I have to keep in good terms with the coaches.
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 04:12pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Roden
IF I wanted to do it, I would need to tell the coaches that I was going to do it as part of a bet so they wouldn't be on my case about an unusual call.

If I want to keep a good schedule, I have to keep in good terms with the coaches. [/B]
__________________________________________________ _________

If I want to keep good terms with the coaches I know, I think the last thing I would want to do is tell them that I am using their game to settle a bet.

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Everybody lighten up! Tim, we still expect a multiple foul call before season's end. I want to be able to say that I knew of an actual instance where one was called. :-)

Z