The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shooting over backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/6448-shooting-over-backboard.html)

CYO Butch Wed Dec 04, 2002 08:08am

I could swear that I read in NFHS rule book something about it being illegal (a violation?) to shoot over the top of the backboard, but I could not find it when I looked last night. Did I just imagine this, or is there really such a prohibition? :confused: Please help.

ChuckElias Wed Dec 04, 2002 08:25am

See 7-2-Note: "When a rectangular backboard is used, the ball is out of bounds if it passes over the backboard."

Chuck

CYO Butch Wed Dec 04, 2002 09:57am

Many Thanks, Chuck

Chuck, thanks for the citation.

firedoc Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:15am

Of course, if a fan-shaped backboard is being used, this prohibition does not apply.

Hawks Coach Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:33am

Don't know how things are in your neck of the woods, but our local middle school only replaced their fan-shaped white metal backboards a couple of years ago with the plexiglass! Not likely to see these in HS, but depending on what level you ref, you may see these fan-shaped boards still.

CYO Butch Wed Dec 04, 2002 11:36am

Fans

Thank you all for the info about the fan shaped backboards. Our games this year are all in HS gyms with plexiglass, but I have seen them in other gyms.

williebfree Wed Dec 04, 2002 03:52pm

One additional comment

CYO

If the ball contacts any of the hardware (support structure) it is a violation and awarded to the opponent.

Rock'nRef Wed Dec 04, 2002 10:28pm

Just to verify....

This rule is applied if it passes over the backboard in EITHER direction??

Thanks,

RR

ChuckElias Thu Dec 05, 2002 08:50am

RnR, Since the note I posted above does not specify one specific direction, you are correct in saying that it applies to a ball passing over the backboard in any direction.

Chuck

heyref Thu Dec 05, 2002 04:20pm

Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias
RnR, Since the note I posted above does not specify one specific direction, you are correct in saying that it applies to a ball passing over the backboard in any direction.

Chuck

It IS NOT illegal for a ball to pass over a rectangular backboard. What is illegal is for the ball to go BEHIND the backboard.

CYO Butch Thu Dec 05, 2002 04:31pm

Over the backboard

heyref,
Chuck's reference is an exact quote from the NFHS rule book. Is your comment that it is not a violation, just out of bounds, or that it is still in play? Also, it clearly can be behind the backboard and still be in play and in bounds.

Mark Padgett Thu Dec 05, 2002 04:33pm

Re: Fans

Quote:

Originally posted by CYO Butch
Thank you all for the info about the fan shaped backboards. Our games this year are all in HS gyms with plexiglass, but I have seen them in other gyms.
I haven't seen any in quite a while, however I see a lot of backboard shaped fans!

heyref Thu Dec 05, 2002 04:40pm

Re: Over the backboard

Quote:

Originally posted by CYO Butch
heyref,
Chuck's reference is an exact quote from the NFHS rule book. Is your comment that it is not a violation, just out of bounds, or that it is still in play? Also, it clearly can be behind the backboard and still be in play and in bounds.

The ball is not dead and still in play. The ball must pass behind the backboard before it becomes dead.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 05, 2002 04:48pm

Quote:

Originally posted by heyref
Quote:

Originally posted by ChuckElias

Chuck

It IS NOT illegal for a ball to pass over a rectangular backboard. What is illegal is for the ball to go BEHIND the backboard.

This couldn't be further from the truth.

The ball may indeed go behind the board without violation. It is only a violation for it be be behind the board if it got there by going over the top (which is the actual violation). If it is there from any other direction, there is no violation (as long as it doesn't touch the supports or back of the board).

Likewise, passing over the top from back to front, albeit very rare, is a violation.

CYO Butch Thu Dec 05, 2002 04:49pm

What's the citation for that? The Rule 7-2-Note says "When a rectangular backboard is used, the ball is out of bounds if it passes over the backboard." Is there something else involved in the HS rules that I missed?