The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 07:53pm
Official Forum Member

"The Look"

I have been told by a few officials that in order to do college, you have to look like an official. Some of them said that at camps they will pass on officials just based on appearence. I have been told that tall and a little tone helps. How accurate is this, and what exactly are they looking for at camps?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 08:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicsman View Post
I have been told by a few officials that in order to do college, you have to look like an official. Some of them said that at camps they will pass on officials just based on appearence. I have been told that tall and a little tone helps. How accurate is this, and what exactly are they looking for at camps?
Straight from the source

CALL SELECTION
COMMUNICATION SKILLS
CONSISTENCY OF CALLS
COURT POSITION AND MECHANICS
OFFICIATING APPEARANCE
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 10:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyezen View Post
Straight from the source

CALL SELECTION
COMMUNICATION SKILLS
CONSISTENCY OF CALLS
OFFICIATING APPEARANCE
Thank you, that is a good start, but could you be a little bit more specific within each of those categories please? Are those listed in order of importance?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:06pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
CONSISTENCY OF CALLS
Even if your calls are consistently bad? How about CONSISTENCY OF PROPER CALLS?
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
That is where CALL SELECTION comes in to play
Old Mon Mar 07, 2011, 11:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
It is very accurate. If you look like you are an athlete that is better than if you look like you drink beer every weekend. This is just a fact of life. And at many camps you will have to be completely dressed in uniform to see what you "look like" in uniform. And no, a belt will eliminate you. SmileyCentral.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Mark if you go to a college camp and there are 100 officials there, there are probably 95 of them that can referee. They will eliminate those there for all kinds of reasons. Where you live, what you look like, your experience and what you call. Most officials are not going to have those kinds of problems with what they call that will be so different. Bottom line they are looking for "why nots" not "why."

Peace
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:06am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Straight from the source

CALL SELECTION
COMMUNICATION SKILLS
CONSISTENCY OF CALLS
OFFICIATING APPEARANCE
Note that RULES KNOWLEDGE isn't one of the criteria. Why? Because it's a given at that level.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:59am
Official Forum Member

Anyone who has "The Look" has an advantage in officiating. What is the look? Tall, fit. muscular, handsome, neat appearance, confidant looking.

Some of these things you cannot control. I'd like to be taller than 5'10". I'm 5-10 pounds heavier than I'd like. Control what you can. What can you do to improve your look? Be fit; if you need to lose weight, do it. Spend the money on your uniform; more than once every ten years. Improve your mechanics; your posture, how you run, how you signal and communicate witht the table. Using video will tell you more about you look on the floor than anything else.

And don't forget to work on all the other things that were mentioned. A great looking official with terrible call selection is not worth much.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you to everyone who replied. Great info! Do you think it is of value to go to a camp as a Class 3. (minor)? Or should I just wait until I am Class 1?
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thank you to everyone who replied. Great info! Do you think it is of value to go to a camp as a Class 3. (minor)? Or should I just wait until I am Class 1?
Mechanicsman, I was a class 3 for five season due to my age. I would suggest going to camp if you are serious about officiating.
It can't hurt, since I see your from Dublin, Ohio that we use 3 person for our lower level games as well.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Dont ever let your rating/ranking affect the decision to get better. I went to camp as a Class 3 after my first year. Through the learning experience of camp, applying what I learned, and practicing I rose to Class 1 after only two seasons. The only way to improve is to get better. The only way to get better is by throwing yourself out there to camps and practicing what you learn. And breaking down game tape, but thats another thread

Last edited by CDurham; Tue Mar 08, 2011 at 04:16pm.
Old Tue Mar 08, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys, I will definetely look into camps. I love officiating, so I would love to get better. Yes we do run 3-person here. I actually ran it once in a Jr. High game this year for my first time.