The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Opened our season with two wins at a tournament. We were runners-up the last two years so this was pretty sweet. Got to beat the hosts in the final. It's nice to check off one of the season goals (win a tournament) on the second day of the season!

The jump stop comment:

We have two talented players that are both good at the jump stop move while driving to the basket. Sure, sometimes the feet don't hit the floor at the same moment, and I understand those travel calls. But at least 20% of the officials we have will call a legal jump stop a travel. (We had two layups wiped last night. Maybe they aren't used to seeing it at this level (HS varsity girls), or maybe they just don't know the rule. Please, for the sake of all the talented players with the ability to make athletic moves, review the rule today!
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 11:30am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by A Pennsylvania Coach
Opened our season with two wins at a tournament. We were runners-up the last two years so this was pretty sweet. Got to beat the hosts in the final. It's nice to check off one of the season goals (win a tournament) on the second day of the season!

The jump stop comment:

We have two talented players that are both good at the jump stop move while driving to the basket. Sure, sometimes the feet don't hit the floor at the same moment, and I understand those travel calls. But at least 20% of the officials we have will call a legal jump stop a travel. (We had two layups wiped last night. Maybe they aren't used to seeing it at this level (HS varsity girls), or maybe they just don't know the rule. Please, for the sake of all the talented players with the ability to make athletic moves, review the rule today!
PA Coach,
Waytago! (Hmmm, ... that sounds like a town in Wisconsin.)

If you have 80% of your officials calling this correctly, you are ahead of the game.

I imagine there is 20% that no-call an illegal jump stop.
And if you have 20% calling a legal jump stop a travel, you have a wash.
mick
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

I work in both a city league with a lot of black players who use a jump stop, and in suburban leagues where the jump stop is not seen as often. In the city league, my experience is that too many officials no-call illegal jump stops, while in the suburban leagues, too many officials call travelling on legal jump stops.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Coach, I can understand your frustration because it is not the best understood rule by refs, coaches and fans. I have seen that situation where a player makes a legal jump stop and you get a bunch of fans screaming for a travel.

On the other hand, players who actually travel will argue that their jump stop was legal. The tough part of this play is judging when the player picks up his dribble. If after he picks his dribble, he takes another step and then comes to a jump stop. He has now traveled because the pivot was picked up and put back down.

I've seen myself rewind the VCR to check out this play, just to try to get better at judging this play. My philosophy, if it is not clear that the player has traveled, play on. Same philosophy for fouls, never a good idea to call what you think is a foul.
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 12:47pm
In Memoriam

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay R
My philosophy, if it is not clear that the player has traveled, play on.

Jay R.,
YU.P.
Never guess a travel.
mick
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 06:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Thumbs up I thought it was just us.

Quote:
Originally posted by stan-MI
I work in both a city league with a lot of black players who use a jump stop, and in suburban leagues where the jump stop is not seen as often. In the city league, my experience is that too many officials no-call illegal jump stops, while in the suburban leagues, too many officials call travelling on legal jump stops.
That is an interesting observation. We have the same problem in my neck of the woods.

Peace
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 12:58am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally posted by mick

Never guess a travel.
mick [/B]
I don't think of it as a guess, but a travel is one of two calls (player control foul is the other)that I find myself making, for want of a better term, automatically. It's like the whistle goes off by itself and I am making the signal before I even realize it. When this happens sometimes I probably could not demonstrate what the player did that was illegal, but at the same time I have probably more confidence in each and every travel call I make than anything else. Which is not to say that I am never wrong on this, damn, I'm starting to ramble.

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 01:20am
We don't rent pigs

jump stop

A while back there was a thread about which rule was most misunderstood. This may have been talking about among coaches, but among the fans the jump stop would rank up there somewhere. 8th grade girls game, press break situation, a girl receives a pass in mid-air, lands on one foot, jumps off that foot and lands cleanly on both feet.
A textbook jump stop. The only problem was that she had lost her balance. She teetered there for probably at least a second, but instead of dribbling the ball, she pivoted.
Whistle....travel, easiest call of the night. But this easy call also got the biggest negative reaction of the night from the fans. Time out. Let's all open our rule books to the definition section and look under W for Walking. Nothing there. But I was so sure.....

Lonesome Dove
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 03:33am
Official Forum Member

Of course, I assume you are being sarcastic, but for those who may read this and don't know:
That's because it is under T for Traveling! Check 4-43-2 It spells out your play exactly.
Penn Coach that is also where you will find the description of a legal "jump stop." Please note that the term "jump stop" is not actually in the rules book. We just use it to help us describe the play.

[Edited by nevadaref on Dec 2nd, 2002 at 03:07 AM]
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 05:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Of course, I assume you are being sarcastic, but for those who may read this and don't know:
That's because it is under T for Traveling! Check 4-43-2 It spells out your play exactly.
Penn Coach that is also where you will find the description of a legal "jump stop." Please note that the term "jump stop" is not actually in the rules book. We just use it to help us describe the play.
Also for those who read this and don't know,the term "jump stop" definitely is in the rule book.It's under "P" for "POE".It's part of the "travelling" POE this year.You'll find it on P69 of the FED rulebook.The actual quote used is "The travelling rule has not changed.What has changed is the common use of the JUMP STOP as an offensive move".Following that is a good description on how the play should be called.
Old Mon Dec 02, 2002, 08:31am
Official Forum Member

gotta love it

Thanks JR! I am quickly learning that I can count on you to pick up the details.
Guess I should have said that the term is not normally in the rules book, but is this year due to that comment.