The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 08:00am
Official Forum Member

I know the NCAA rules book is posted online, but does anyone know if the NFHS rules book is available in this manner?

[Edited by nevadaref on Nov 30th, 2002 at 08:01 AM]
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 08:58am
In Memoriam

Nevada,I'm pretty sure that the only way that you can legally get the NFHS rule and case books is by buying them.I don't think the FED allows them to be copied.The FED website- NFHS.org- does post new rules,new interpretations,etc.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I have the hard copies. I just don't like typing out all the rules cites on the discussion board. If I had an electronic copy, I could just copy and paste!
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

And the answer IS . . .

NevedaRef:

The National Federation of High Schools strongly defends the right to NOT allow copies of the NFHS Rules Books (all sports) on line.

Unlike the NCAA the NFHS does not have national championships that generate revenue to operate. Since the NFHS is self funded (through several revenue streams) they have quickly shut down ANY electronic version of Rules, Case, and Manuals that open on the internet.

The SALE of these books is one of the major streams of capital that keep the NFHS up and running and until they can find a way to replace that income the books will never be available on line.

There was an effort two years ago to allow local associations the right to purchase an electronic copy of the NFHS football rules book. The very first attempt ended when the book appeared on a football association webpage.

While your idea in 21st century (boy would I love to be able to scan OBR, NCAA, NFHS, JEA, and J/R Baseball rules and interpretations) at this time in our emerging internet history it is not legal under all these rules makers.

Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Yeah, I have the hard copies. I just don't like typing out all the rules cites on the discussion board. If I had an electronic copy, I could just copy and paste!
An electronic copy is included with the ARS software (or so I've heard).
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to drinkeii
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
An electronic copy is included with the ARS software (or so I've heard).
That is correct - I have the basketball one from a couple of years ago from ARS - the rules, cases, and simplified and illustrated books were included, and you can cut and paste them. I didn't like the particular format in the way they were put there, but it was nice to have an electronic version of them.
Old Sat Nov 30, 2002, 06:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You think I type out all this @#%$?

Email me.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 01, 2002, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Sorry but it won't work with a Hotmail address. The recipient never gets it using this service. Got another one?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Dec 04, 2002, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Re: And the answer IS . . .

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim C
NevedaRef:

The National Federation of High Schools strongly defends the right to NOT allow copies of the NFHS Rules Books (all sports) on line.
Do you know if this also applies to their test that they print up each year (part 1 and part 2)?
Old Thu Dec 05, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Tony
No email address available for you thru the board - please use email feature on me so we can exchange email addresses. I have an old electronic version that I have not kept up with the changes - if you have newer than 99 I would appreciate a copy. My new books are hardcopy only.