The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Did my first official varsity game last night with a great partner. He kept "mentoring" during the breaks in action. I think he was attempting to keep me from getting caught up in my emotions and calm me down. It wasn't needed, but the effort was much appreciated.

Before the game, he was sure to mention that we should only give a T if it would make the game better. Early in the 4th quarter he called a block on A2 while she was attempting to set a pick. Coach politely asked for clarification, partner gave it. Since it put Team B in the bonus we were getting set for the FT and I heard the coach complain that it was not a foul, so partner put his hand up. A second later I hear coach say something I could not make out and hear a whistle...partner had T'd the coach. At the next break, partner said the coach's comment was too stupid not to get a T. I just smiled and let it go, but did say the game did get better because he sat down. Partner had to grin, but never would tell me what he said. After the game he said I should not follow his example as he should have shown more control.

Sure would like to know the coach said...maybe it was the big lead his team had that made it sound stupid.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 10:24am
9 times

Your partner may have needed more control, but you admitted that the T made the game better, so was it a good T?

IMO, yes.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

I always ask myself after I give a T to someone....What could I have done differently? Did my actions or inactions contribute to the situation? Did I say something that could have been taken wrong? I am not saying that I am second guessing my call of a T....But just evaluating myself on how I could change me people skills in the future......Sometimes the answer to the above questions are that you could not have done anything differently and no matter what was done in the game a T was given. But maintaining control or the feeling that you were not in control is your own feeling.....Did the T make the game better.....probably yes!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 04:45pm
Official Forum Member

Are you sure?

Are you sure he was saying "it wasn't a foul", or was he saying "it wasn't a shooting foul" This years rule change makes that situation a team control foul and you do not shoot any foul shots.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Re: Are you sure?

Quote:
Originally posted by NCAAREF
Are you sure he was saying "it wasn't a foul", or was he saying "it wasn't a shooting foul" This years rule change makes that situation a team control foul and you do not shoot any foul shots.
Not under NFHS rules, which is what 95% of us call.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 05:16pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Remember what Ed Hightower said about technical fouls. The purpose of a technical foul is to stop bad behavior. If you can stop the bad behavior without calling the technical, you're just that much ahead.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 05:34pm
Official Forum Member

He said that it wasn't a foul. Like I said earlier, I couldn't make out what he said next.

I hope nobody thought I was being critical of the call. I just thought it was funny that after he said suggested we try to avoid technicals, he gives a T the first time (literally) that a coach made a comment about a call or lack there of. I thought I had a tendency to be quick, but I was impressed. The coach was a long way from my "line in the sand". As we have discussed before, each of us has a line and apparently the coach crossed his (or said one of those magic words).

Obviously each of you could not see his expression when we talked about the T in our post game meeting. It was apparent he caught the humor I was going after, which I think prompted his comment that after thinking about the situation he was probably a little quick to pop him.