The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2000, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I went to a recruitment meeting this weekend where my daughter auditioned to get into a class that would teach her how to conduct herself in order to get into show business. Where they would teach her the lingo of the business as well as how to have poise and self confidence that you would need as a performer. It was an eye opener to say the least. Comparing it to officiating I say we have a good deal. In show business, you could spend $1600 for his classes another $350 for a portfolio and you still don't have a job or a guarentee of a job. He told us of people who have come to him after spending $10,000 doing it their way and still not having any jobs. I won't even start in on multi-levels or franchise opportunities, but the same could be said for most of them.

In this business we spend, by my rough calculations, $250 getting started with rule books, classes, test, dues, and uniforms. And when we are done, without even trying you can make that money back in the month of December calling rec leagues, Junior High and Sub varsity basketball games. In most cases the assignor calls us. So before you start complaining about the money we make in this business, look at what other people have to pay to do what they do. You'll count your blessings every day.

[This message has been edited by Tim Roden (edited April 17, 2000).]