The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Please explain the closely-gaurded mechanic.

Thanks

CK
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Please explain your question better.
Z
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
The rule is that you may not hold or dribble the ball in the frontcourt when a defender has established a guarding position within 6 feet of you. This 5 second count continues even if the defenders switch off as long as at least 1 of them remains within 6 feet.

I don't think that there is a specific mechanic for this violation. The mechanic that I use is: whistle with the hand straight up with open hand indicating a violation, hold up 5 fingers and announce "closely guarded," then indicate the direction that the ball will now go and point to the appropriate spot for the throw-in.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Firedoc-
That would be the appropriate mechanic!

AK ref SE
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Red face

I announce "5 seconds" rather than "closely guarded." Don't know why, and wouldn't suggest one over the other. That just seems to be what is used in this area.

Of course the first part of the mechanic is the visible count. Both the offense and defense, players and coaches, will key from this. (Last Saturday after turning the ball over due to a closely guarded 5-second count a player came to me and asked me if I would PLEASE give him a count indication next time. I explained that the call came from my partner. I didn't have time to explain that my partner did have a visible count....)

Next mechanic item is to switch hands when initiating a new count. That happens if the ballhandler begins or ends the dribble, or the ball is given to a team mate who is also closely guarded. It also happens if the separation momentarily exceeds 6'.

And finally, in California there is a rules modification for girls. The closely guarded rule applies only when the ball is held, not when it is dribbled. However, it applies in both the front and back courts.
Old Tue Nov 26, 2002, 04:05pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally posted by firedoc
This 5 second count continues even if the defenders switch off as long as at least 1 of them remains within 6 feet.

That is true for Federation games, but not for NCAA games...NCAA it must be the same opponent or else you start a new count...Rule 4, Sec. 11, Art. 3...just a minor difference...