The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Spot throw-in violation in playoff game. (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/63452-spot-throw-violation-playoff-game.html)

KMBReferee Sun Feb 27, 2011 02:55am

Spot throw-in violation in playoff game.

Kudos to the guy who made that call.

Garner was undefeated this year, and this game went into Triple OT. The call essentially sealed the game for New Hanover.

Previously unbeaten Garner HS falls in triple OT | Video | abc11.com

eg-italy Sun Feb 27, 2011 05:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by KMBReferee (Post 734664)
Kudos to the guy who made that call.

Garner was undefeated this year, and this game went into Triple OT. The call essentially sealed the game for New Hanover.

Previously unbeaten Garner HS falls in triple OT | Video | abc11.com

I believe that's a big error by the official. Did both feet move away from the throw-in spot? I don't think so.

Am I wrong or the official made a traveling signal? :eek:

Ciao

Eastshire Sun Feb 27, 2011 06:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by eg-italy (Post 734681)
I believe that's a big error by the official. Did both feet move away from the throw-in spot? I don't think so.

Ciao

Absolutely he moved both feet away from the spot. It certainly didn't look like a travel signal to me. Instead, it looked like he moved his hands from the right side of his body to the left side of his body to indicate the player left the spot.

Jurassic Referee Sun Feb 27, 2011 07:40am

Quote:

!) I believe that's a big error by the official. Did both feet move away from the throw-in spot?

2)Am I wrong or the official made a traveling signal?

1) I know that's the correct call by the official. The thrower has to keep one foot on or over a 3 foot wide spot until the ball is released on the throw-in. In that play, the thrower didn't. Obvious violation imo.

2) You're wrong. The official gave the correct signal under NFHS rules---> signal #26.

0 for 2.

wfd21 Sun Feb 27, 2011 08:28am

Great call. Good signal. I had this happen in a college semi final confrence game Friday night. First time ever in a college game for this violation.

Rich Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:27am

Quote:

Ciao

You're wrong and you're wrong. So's the announcer. Clearly that inbounds was not immediately subsequent to a made basket - the timeout had nothing to do with it.

He clearly left the spot of the throw-in (he started on the left side of the N and ended up right on the left side of the S) and the official's mechanics couldn't have been better.

And number 21 showed a lot of class :rolleyes: at the time of the call and after the game, too.

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:35am

No brainer. By not calling it, you are penalizing the defense and the other team.

Tim C Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:36am

Cripes

Quote:

"I believe that's a big error by the official. Did both feet move away from the throw-in spot? I don't think so."
What video did you watch?

~Sigh~

T

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim C (Post 734718)
What video did you watch?

~Sigh~

T

To be fair, no footballer in Europe is ever called for a violation for throwing the ball in 20 yards from the spot.

Mark Padgett Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:22pm

Wait a minute

My interp of the video was that the inbound play was following a made basket. If not, why was the announcer making a point about the timeout taking away the right to run the endline which, of course, is wrong. If that was the case, then the official blew the call and screwed over that team!

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 734737)
My interp of the video was that the inbound play was following a made basket. If not, why was the announcer making a point about the timeout taking away the right to run the endline which, of course, is wrong. If that was the case, then the official blew the call and screwed over that team!

They had a FC throw-in. Spot.

grunewar Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN (Post 734716)
And number 21 showed a lot of class :rolleyes: at the time of the call and after the game, too.

He was just a little into the game....... :rolleyes:

BillyMac Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:31pm

Inquiring Minds Want To Know ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by 26 Year Gap (Post 734721)
To be fair, no footballer in Europe is ever called for a violation for throwing the ball in 20 yards from the spot.

I know very little about soccer rules, and have always questioned this. How far away from the place where the ball went out of bounds are they legally allowed to move?

Raymond Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark Padgett (Post 734737)

Mark, re-watch he video with the sound down. You'll figure it out a lot better without the announcer.

26 Year Gap Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 734742)
I know very little about soccer rules, and have always questioned this. How far away from the place where the ball went out of bounds are they legally allowed to move?

I don't officiate soccer. I know that we had to be within about 6 ft of the spot when I played, but that was long ago and it was not FIFA rules. Corner kicks taken broke ties rather than PKs back then.