The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

When do you chop the clock to start the game? When the ball is tapped or when a team gains control?

Thanks
MJ
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to bigwhistle
when the ball is tapped.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to firedoc
Correct! The ball becomes live when it leaves the hand of the referee and the clock is properly started when the ball is touched.
Old Thu Nov 21, 2002, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

Once again, can we have some veteran refs (even a few NCAA ones) come and take a look at this?
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Once again, can we have some veteran refs (even a few NCAA ones) come and take a look at this?

What do you mean Mark?
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I think Mark just means that this is one of those rules that the vets tend to forget about b/c it doesn't seem very important. Then when it becomes important, or they're asked about it, they don't really know anymore.

Chuck
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Chuck.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mj

What do you mean Mark?

What I mean is that, quite often, I'll be doing the clock and the U will chop in the clock once team control is gained as opposed to the first touching. (Don't tell anyone, but I start the clock correctly.)
Old Fri Nov 22, 2002, 04:23pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Dexter
Quote:
Originally posted by mj

What do you mean Mark?

What I mean is that, quite often, I'll be doing the clock and the U will chop in the clock once team control is gained as opposed to the first touching. (Don't tell anyone, but I start the clock correctly.)
Mark,are you sure that the guys aren't giving you a double chop?First chop to start the game clock when the ball is first touched by,or touches,a player after the jump--and second chop to start the shot clock when the team first gains control?I can't believe that experienced guys(or gals)at this level don't know when to start the clock(s) properly.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2002, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Mark,are you sure that the guys aren't giving you a double chop?First chop to start the game clock when the ball is first touched by,or touches,a player after the jump--and second chop to start the shot clock when the team first gains control?I can't believe that experienced guys(or gals)at this level don't know when to start the clock(s) properly.
I'm pretty sure there's no double chop. (The tap and control are sometimes so close together that it would look really weird.)

The one solution I thought of is that they were just chopping in the shot clock - for some reason they think the shot clock timer is dumber than the main clock operator.

BTW, the same thing happened tonight on a missed FT (as well as the initial jump) . . .