The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Last night, boys JV, 3.8 seconds remaining in tie game. A1 dribbling down court to attempt winning shot. I hear A team coach yell for a TO, just as I start to raise my hand my partner blows his whistle and yells "Time out, white". At the same moment, A1 lets loose a 45' jumper that gets nothing but net. I waive it off because in my mind, I had already granted the TO and my partner granted it even faster. Did we get it right?

Only one to complain was A1, and he gave his coach a look that could kill. To make it worse, team A lost in OT. A1 was still ragging on his coach as we left the floor. Guess I'm just wondering as it cost us OT.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

If the time out request was before the shot was released AND you grant it, then the shot can't count. If the shot was released, there's no team control and you can't grant a time out.

So, Larry, ya did good.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryS
Last night, boys JV, 3.8 seconds remaining in tie game. A1 dribbling down court to attempt winning shot. I hear A team coach yell for a TO,
Did you "see" the coach request a TO? If you only here a call for a TO how do you know it came from the coach? Situations like this should be part of your pregame.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

It was obvious to everyone in the gym, including me and my partner, that he wanted the TO. The question was if I had handled the shot attempt correctly. I know if the shot came after the TO was granted then you waive it off. If it comes before the TO, you can't grant the TO because there is not control. These three (request, granting of TO and shot) all happen within a half second of each other. With my partner granting the TO and the shot happening right in front of me, if I was certain the shot release came first I would have stepped in, reversed the TO and counted the three points.

I felt confident we had handled it correctly, but there is always that lingering doubt in situations that don't happen often.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 11:35am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb You may grant the time out.

Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
If the shot was released, there's no team control and you can't grant a time out.

Yes, there is no team conrol, but since you have the whistle blown, and play stopped already, you go to the requesting party, tell them you kicked it and ask it they still want it.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2002, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Re: You may grant the time out.

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by ScottParks
If the shot was released, there's no team control and you can't grant a time out.

Yes, there is no team conrol, but since you have the whistle blown, and play stopped already, you go to the requesting party, tell them you kicked it and ask it they still want it.
mick,
I agree..... my statement of "can't grant a time out" meant "don't blow the dang whistle"
Old Mon Nov 25, 2002, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Once granted...

A TO once granted, even when they cannot have one, cannot be revoked. Ref CB 5.8.3 Situation E.

Mregor