The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

3 "T"s in 3 hours....

Well, I had an interesting night last night.

I did 3 middle school games. All girls, 6, 7 and 8th grade.

Starts with 6th grade girls. Both teams were pretty good. On one play, Visitor A1 drives to the basket and Defender B1 holds her position, A1 loses the ball and coach goes nuts. B1 gets the ball and fast break ensues. As B1 is pulling up the fastbreak, A's coach is still screaming about the last play and I have had enough. "T" Everything went well after that. Visitors were down 4 with under 45 seconds to play and scored 7 straight to win the game.

Game 2. 7th grade girls. Both teams were pretty good. Home team controlled the entire game and won easily. But in the 4th Q Home coach was tired of not getting the calls he thought he should get and complained on an easy call right in front of him, I had warned him earlier that we've heard enough. He complained again, very loud, and I whacked him. It quited him down and had no effect on the game.

Game 3 8th grade girls. Neither team is well coached and few players have any skills. In 1st Q, with under a minute to go, the score is 0-0 ( that is not a misprint 0-0) I am going from T to L I have the sideline and the deepest players. I see the ball go OOB on my side and I call the OOB. as I do, I have 4 players in front of me and I see a girl fall OOB about 40 feet from me. I have no idea why she fell or if she was pushed.

It's a visitors player and the coach , guess what, went nuts, really nuts, he comes on to the floor and starts screaming about his player being shoved and knocked down. I said, " coach go back to your box and I will talk to you" he screamed more. I've already called 2 "T"s and don't want another. I said, " coach, go back to your box and I will talk to you" he yells more "T" #3. I explain to my partner what is going on and the coach is still screaming that he is calling my assignor ( because they are friends ). I explain that I could careless who he calls. He tells me that if I do not get control of this game he is going to take his team home NOW. Again, I tell him, I don't care if he takes his team home, it's his choice. I also say that we are calling the fouls as we see them.

At that point, we had called 6 fouls on the home team and 3 on the visitors. It's still the first Q. Come to find out this is the assistant coach and not the head coach, I had no idea. Half the time, it's a parent or 2 coaching these teams. That was the case here. Anyway, Visitors won. Home team did not score until the 4th Q. Final 24-13.

3 more game days for me and it's over. I did get a play off game for Saturday night. I do think that working with these coaches as difficult as they are, makes you a better official, at least I hope so.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan View Post
I do think that working with these coaches as difficult as they are, makes you a better official, at least I hope so.
I used to think so too, but for the most part those "coaches" are such idiots & I cannot give them credit for my improvement!

MS Coach following t/o: "They dont get a new 10 second count!!"
Me: No but they do get a new 5 seconds for the throw-in

MS Coach on reaching: "You gotta call the reach!!"
Me: How else can they steal the ball, "coach"

MS Coach on his player falls: "You gotta control this game!!"
Me: Clumsy never has been & still isnt a foul

Sent: ***
To: ****
Subject: Middle School post-season available

(delete)
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 10:57am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:

It's a visitors player and the coach , guess what, went nuts, really nuts, he comes on to the floor and starts screaming about his player being shoved and knocked down. I said, " coach go back to your box and I will talk to you" he screamed more. I've already called 2 "T"s and don't want another. I said, " coach, go back to your box and I will talk to you" he yells more "T" #3. I explain to my partner what is going on and the coach is still screaming that he is calling my assignor ( because they are friends ). I explain that I could careless who he calls. He tells me that if I do not get control of this game he is going to take his team home NOW. Again, I tell him, I don't care if he takes his team home, it's his choice. I also say that we are calling the fouls as we see them.

Sounds like a bit too much conversation with a coach who is acting like this. It seems that the 4th T would have been a pretty easy one. jmo

Lonesome Dove
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:02am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Sounds like a bit too much conversation with a coach who is acting like this. It seems that the 4th T would have been a pretty easy one. jmo
He already acknowledged that he gave the coach more rope than usual.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
He already acknowledged that he gave the coach more rope than usual.
I've been there. When I have a stretch (even over multiple nights) where I've whacked a few coaches I tend to think "not again" and may let a coach go a bit further than I normally do. I think it's just human nature.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:24am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tref View Post
MS Coach on reaching: "You gotta call the reach!!"
Me: How else can they steal the ball, "coach"
I like it, but I prefer "reaching is never a foul, coach." Anything we can do to debunk the myths helps.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:36am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
I like it, but I prefer "reaching is never a foul, coach." Anything we can do to debunk the myths helps.
I don't bother with phrases like this. I feel you just make the coach think you're an idiot with phrases like this.

"He got all ball, coach" is good enough for me.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 11:49am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
I feel you just make the coach think you're an idiot with phrases like this.
So what if he does?

Consider the source, anyway. The idiocy is that people believe that contact isn't necessary to cause a foul.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:01pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
It's a visitors player and the coach , guess what, went nuts, really nuts, he comes on to the floor and starts screaming about his player being shoved and knocked down. I said, " coach go back to your box and I will talk to you" he screamed more. I've already called 2 "T"s and don't want another. I said, " coach, go back to your box and I will talk to you" he yells more "T" #3. I explain to my partner what is going on and the coach is still screaming that he is calling my assignor
Bam! T # 4 right here. Coach is done. I know you purposefully gave more rope for T # 3, but this threat is about as close to automatic as it gets for me.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 12:38pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
So what if he does?

Consider the source, anyway. The idiocy is that people believe that contact isn't necessary to cause a foul.
You mean like the "over the back" fouls when the kid rebounds clearly from behind because he's (1) tall and (2) actually jumps?
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:12pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
You mean like the "over the back" fouls when the kid rebounds clearly from behind because he's (1) tall and (2) actually jumps?
Precisely.
Old Thu Feb 24, 2011, 02:20pm
Official Forum Member

Easy call. Second T. Up to coach if players go with him or not.
Would love to throw composure and professionalism out the window and make some smart remark like:

"Coach allow me to excuse you early enough to go make that phone call."

"You're right coach, I should have controlled you earlier as you clearly cannot control yourself."

"Coach I know, its your game ball and your taking it with you..."

Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Bam! T # 4 right here. Coach is done. I know you purposefully gave more rope for T # 3, but this threat is about as close to automatic as it gets for me.

+1. That's how our assignor preaches to us.

Also, if you're ever doing a game and a coach starts yammering on about how they are also an official and you shoulda done this.... or that....
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 03:35am
Official Forum Member

4th

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
4th. agree. Unless there is a lot of paperwork(technical report, ejection report) you have to fill out...
Old Fri Feb 25, 2011, 06:38am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatOneRef View Post
Unless there is a lot of paperwork(technical report, ejection report) you have to fill out...
I certainly hope that you weren't serious when you wrote that.